TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

celedhring

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 29, 2014, 08:39:48 AM
Analized. Heh.

Yeah, his listings of montage types and elements are extremely anal-retentive :D

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Ideologue on April 28, 2014, 07:52:33 PM
I mean, everyone jumps on my ass for insufficiently positive reviews of The French Connection and The Conversation. 
Good for everyone.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Savonarola

Trilby (1915)

Poor Trilby  :(
Poor Billie  :(
Poor print  :glare:

George du Maurier novel is brought to life in this stagey British film.  It works about as well as you'd expect from a silent film about an opera singer to work.  The film doesn't do much to develop the relationship between Billie, Taffy and the Laird; the latter two just seem to hover about Billie.  There's a much happier ending to the film than there is to the novel.

It's interesting that the term "Svengali" has entered our language even if the source of the term has been largely forgotten.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

celedhring

Habemus cast:

http://starwars.com/news/star-wars-episode-7-cast-announced.html

Most of the new guys are complete unknowns. Max Von Sydow as a predictably evil dude should at least provide some fun scenery-chewing.

Scipio

Arrow got dark. Real dark. I continue to really like its direction. There's still enough humor to make it enjoyable.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Darth Wagtaros

I'm liking Arrow too.  Deathstroke is a wacko, but is at least a somewhat tortured and sympathetic wacko.  Doctor Light will make an appearance too I hope.
PDH!

Viking

Quote from: Scipio on April 29, 2014, 12:23:57 PM
Arrow got dark. Real dark. I continue to really like its direction. There's still enough humor to make it enjoyable.

I really didn't see that death coming, I didn't see it coming so soon...

I think we'll see Dr Light in The Flash, not Arrow.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

FunkMonk

Quote from: celedhring on April 29, 2014, 12:22:26 PM
Habemus cast:

Most of the new guys are complete unknowns. Max Von Sydow as a predictably evil dude should at least provide some fun scenery-chewing.

Dark Lord von Sydow. Cool.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

The Brain

What is Max von Sydow's favorite drink?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

celedhring

After the glowing reviews in this thread I decided to give Arrow a second chance and I'm enjoying it more this time around.

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on April 29, 2014, 12:22:26 PM
Habemus cast:

I loved John Boyega in Attack the Block. Also I saw this list earlier. It looks like they got Brendan Gleeson and Domhnal Gleeson mixed up :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Ideologue

Morning For the Osone Family (1946).  Since I wanted to watch one or two of Masaki Kobayashi's mentor's films to get a feel for what he was about, I selected my first based upon the highly ethical criterion that it was the shortest.  I may not have gotten a representative work.  The word on the street is that Keisuke Kinoshita is all about bourgeois melodrama and wasn't political.  "Morning" pretty resolutely is.

Our story begins in 1943.  The Osones number a mother, a couple of uncles, one of their wives, and four children, aged from their mid-teens to mid-twenties.  The father has passed, and leadership of the family has passed de facto and de jure to his brother, a colonel in the IJA.  The years pass and each of the children meets the Pacific War in their own way: the oldest son is drafted and dies; the middle son is imprisoned for an essay written with insufficient enthusiasm for the war; the youngest son, not yet graduated from high school, joins the Special Attack Service, and dutifully crashes his plane into the ocean on the last day of the war; finally, the daughter waits and hopes for the safe return of her fiance/not fiance (they love each other very much, but her uncle called off their engagement--it is implied so that he can use her in an arrangement with the son of a major materiel supplier).  Finally, after Japan surrenders, the Osone matriarch tells the uncle what she wanted to say years ago: that he's an asshole, and that he and his kind are the ones who killed her sons and brought Japan to ruin.

Ultimately, it adds up to the kind of cathartic chamber drama you'd want to see right after half your country was destroyed and the other half impoverished: it wasn't your fault, moviegoer.  One supposes it played better in '46.

Still, although unnecessarily dry in terms of both narrative and filmmaking, neither is it the garbage you might expect from a country crawling out from underneath the rubble of a world war (cough ITALY cough).  It's an effective piece, and it did indeed occasionally made me sad.  Finally, I really do appreciate that, as soon as they were allowed to register their opposition to the war, the good Japanese (that we didn't incinerate) did so.

B
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

celedhring

Wait! Do I detect a dig at Italian Neorrealism in your last paragraph?

Also, the American occupation forces had a big control over Japanese film at the time, so I wouldn't consider all the deluge of antiwar films or those ridiculous Rashamen movies about Japanese-American friendship a completely spontaneous reaction (which doesn't mean Kinoshita is being insincere here).

Godzilla is probably a better witness of Japanese reaction to WWII, imho. I'm not an expert in Japanese culture, not by any means, but all the great Japanese anti-WWII films I know are highly metaphorical and never tackle the issue directly or overtly. Which dunno if it's some kind of cultural trait to deal with collective trauma.