News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

If you want arguments go to grumbler. [spoiler]I just think it sucks they killed off Tracy and found the bait and switch emotionally unfulfilling.[/spoiler]
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

katmai

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 01, 2014, 06:13:32 PM
If you want arguments go to grumbler. [spoiler]I just think it sucks they killed off Tracy and found the bait and switch emotionally unfulfilling.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Why I gave up on that show about three seasons ago[/spoiler]
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

celedhring

Watched another episode of Hannibal and saw Dan Fogler popping up. Now, if Lecter ends up killing him in an appropriately gruesome manner the show will end up being worth it.

garbon

What's the deal with closed captioning? Does it get created before the final edits of movies/shows? I've been noticing as of late (as I always have subtitles on) that in many cases there will be close captioning for statements that the characters don't make. Little one liners that fit but would've been to on the nose and aren't present in the spoken dialogue. :hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

Quote from: garbon on April 01, 2014, 07:26:37 PM
What's the deal with closed captioning? Does it get created before the final edits of movies/shows? I've been noticing as of late (as I always have subtitles on) that in many cases there will be close captioning for statements that the characters don't make. Little one liners that fit but would've been to on the nose and aren't present in the spoken dialogue. :hmm:

Captions are first created off the show's script and then adjusted when synced to the video. That leaves off some irregularities.

Live shows are obviously even worse since they are made on the fly.

garbon

Gotcha okay. I thought I was going crazy. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grallon

I had a marathon of 'Downton Abbey' a couple of weeks ago.  I watched all 4 seasons in a weekend.  It was well worth watching.  There's nothing quite like 'Old School England' upper classes rolling in the mud.  ^_^

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Phillip V

Quote from: frunk on April 01, 2014, 09:27:44 AM
Quote from: Scipio on April 01, 2014, 05:38:24 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 31, 2014, 09:41:18 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 31, 2014, 09:38:13 PM
Shit, I missed it.  Did Barney die?

[spoiler]Barney and Robin get divorced, the Mother dies, and Ted ends up with Robin.[/spoiler]
That's fucking retarded.

It's actually handled pretty well considering they tried to [spoiler]compress fifteen years of post meeting the mother time into 30 minutes.  If they actually gave more series time to the events of the finale it probably wouldn't of been a problem, but that would have been moving outside the central conceit of the show.[/spoiler]
Compression would not be a problem if the whole series before that last 30 minutes was not a problem.

Story aside, execution was a problem down to audibly and visually integrating old footage of the children with Future Ted.

Admiral Yi

Another good Shameless episode.  Great makeup job on Frank.  He really looks like hell.

Ideologue

Carlito's Way (1993).  I like this gunfight in the train station better than that other gunfight in a train station.

A
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

Safety Last! - The spiritual precursor of such classics as Vertigo and The Secret of My Success, it's about a small town boy who moves to the big city to provide for his high maintenance girlfriend. He has money trouble until he gets his boss to offer him a huge bonus for performing a publicity stunt to attract people to his store. Many amusing gags are had along the way.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

This is the end- well that was a weird film. Took me a while to get into it, at first it just seemed too silly. But it grew on me. Its alright.
██████
██████
██████

Ideologue

Phantom of the Paradise (1974).  They certainly don't make them like this any more; although Jim Sharman made them like this for some period of time.  Doubtlessly more coherent and relevant than the subsequent year's similar picture show, I'm not sure it's as much fun.  But it is a very near run thing.

They say it's a mix-up of Phantom of the Opera, Faust, and The Picture of Dorian Gray, and all of this is true; but an influence much closer in time informs both key plot elements and tone.  Of course, I speak of The Abominable Dr. Phibes, another movie about a vengeful keyboard player with an electronic voice.  If Dr. Phibes is a hair better, well, Paradise doesn't have Vincent Price, and not half as many awesomely stupid murders.  In this regard, it must be held to be lacking; in point of fact, there's really only one really awesomely stupid murder (though it is supremely awesome and stupid alike).  But if it stumbles in terms of content, in terms of its presentation...

Yes: Paradise is best known as the first movie Brian De Palma ever made  that anyone without a film-historical interest would be likely to give a shit about, now forty years later.  And one can see why.  It's a quantum leap in quality from the rather bad, not to say wholly inept, hyper-Hitchcockian venture that was Sisters.  In that film, you could see the man learning.

He's still learning a bit here, but it's nearly fully-grown De Palma.  The one filmmaking misstep in Paradise is some genuinely awful handheld shakycam that badly mars a long mobile take (and you know that thing weighed like eighty pounds back then, so I additionally feel sorry for the actual cameraman).  Otherwise, De Palma's maturing style is mesmerizing; it clearly prefigures the sublime heights he'd reach with Carrie two years later.  (As for why Obsession, between the two, is so much less interesting to look at than either, I don't know who could say.)

But it takes a village to raise a rock opera, and the production and costume design is spectacular (and the future Carrie, Sissy Spacek, helped!).

Finally, and maybe most importantly of all, actor and composer Paul Williams has deployed some damned fine music here.  But the real star of the show is, undeniably, that man's freakishly large left eye.  That is one noteworthy gaze.

A great deal of fun all around.

Either a very, very high B+ or a very, very light A

P.S.: I should've went with my gut and given Dr. Phibes an A
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Ideologue on April 02, 2014, 10:28:52 PM
Either a very, very high B+ or a very, very light A

Did your "-" key stop working?
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Ideologue

I don't do minuses.  In retrospect, I should've.
Kinemalogue