News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaCroix

Quote from: Razgovory on March 20, 2014, 02:52:57 PM...

i don't know the context behind that discussion a year ago between you and yi, but your original comment isn't fair based strictly off what is said in those quotes. in the purge, the nation's economy does not require the purge. the economy merely greatly benefits from the purge. require and greatly benefit are very different

Quote from: The Larch on March 20, 2014, 05:21:43 PM
Cities destroyed by Hollywood movies:

north dakota wins again :Canuck:

Eddie Teach

North Dakota loses, due to not being worth destroying.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 20, 2014, 06:56:28 PM

Sweet, succulent natural gas.  :mmm:

MadImmortalMan

I wonder how NYC would compare to Tokyo using this metric.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

LaCroix

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 20, 2014, 06:56:28 PM

oh but where would your canola and flaxseed be without bestdakota  :D

Admiral Yi

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 20, 2014, 07:01:37 PM

Tokyo hasn't been destroyed by a variety of things has it?  Just 80 times by monsters.

The Larch

I wonder how San Francisco gets hit so much, it's not as if *that* big. Being iconic has its drawbacks, I guess.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 20, 2014, 07:15:27 PM

Tokyo hasn't been destroyed by a variety of things has it?  Just 80 times by monsters.
Some of those monsters were aliens.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

celedhring

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 21, 2014, 06:01:11 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 20, 2014, 07:15:27 PM

Some of those monsters were aliens.

And a lot of the property damage was inflicted by superheroes/giant robots defending it from said monsters, too.

dps

Quote from: The Larch on March 21, 2014, 05:58:55 AM
I wonder how San Francisco gets hit so much, it's not as if *that* big. Being iconic has its drawbacks, I guess.

Yeah, and the flip side of that is Chicago.  Relative to size, it probably gets destroyed the least of any city.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: dps on March 21, 2014, 06:32:17 AM

Yeah, and the flip side of that is Chicago.  Relative to size, it probably gets destroyed the least of any city.
Doesn't look they're counting the Transformers. Surely they would fall under aliens.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Larch

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 21, 2014, 06:36:15 AM
Quote from: dps on March 21, 2014, 06:32:17 AM

Doesn't look they're counting the Transformers. Surely they would fall under aliens.

It's under Superheroes, apparently.

QuoteWe know that the Transformers are aliens (or alien robots), but we're going by genre hereā€”it's clearly a superhero battle.

celedhring

What's the link? There's shit tons of disaster movies out there, wanted to know where they drew the line.

Ideologue

Is Rooney Mara a better actress than about 98% of her peers?  Absolutely.  And is she also the most beautiful woman in pictures?  Certainly the most perfectly proportioned.  :wub:  Even if she finds eyebrows to be a difficult balance.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)