News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: PDH on March 09, 2014, 08:34:58 PM
The French Revolution is far better drama, pathos, and story than the Russian Revolution.

The Russian had a distinct romanticism about it, I will grant it that; but I agree with you about the French.

Viking

I'm no longer interested in Elementary, fun while it lasted though.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Kleves

True Detective ended on a surprisingly [spoiler]upbeat[/spoiler] note. I wonder if people will be disappointed that [spoiler]none of the really outlandish theories panned out, and there wasn't really any "twist" to the ending[/spoiler].
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 09, 2014, 09:18:52 PM
True Detective wrap up:  what a superb work.
Indeed.  A damn near perfect ending for what the director said he intended from Day 1.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Queequeg

Quote from: katmai on March 10, 2014, 02:04:09 AM
Suck it Spellus.
[spoiler]
That galactic spiral was The Yellow King. I had really mixed feelings about the finale.[/spoiler]
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

celedhring

Quote from: Josephus on March 09, 2014, 06:49:09 PM
Anyone else notice Woody was wearing a Pink Floyd 94 tour shirt?

Yeah, I was at that tour and own a similar shirt :p

He wore it in a 1995 scene.

Tonitrus

Quote from: HVC on March 09, 2014, 09:09:32 PM
Daryl's dick is cursed.

[spoiler]That's what he gets for going all Siege/Ed Anger...

Though as a 16-year old character, the actress pulls that age off pretty well for being nearly 30.
[/spoiler]

Savonarola

Sherlock Homes (1922)

The great John Barrymore plays Sherlock Holmes in this adaptation of the play by the same name.  I'll admit that the scene where Holmes takes a 7% solution of cocaine, and then downs four bottles of Glenlivet was a little disturbing, but otherwise the film is great.

Just kidding, John did his drinking off camera; and (don't be shocked) quite a bit of it too, according to director Albert Parker.  The film uses the premise of "A Scandal in Bohemia" except Moriarty is the ultimate blackmailer.  There's a lot of twists, turns and title cards as Holmes and Moriarty match wits.  The film suffers by it's many and verbose title cards and from a romantic sub-plot for Holmes, but otherwise it's a great deal of fun.

This is the film debut of William Powell, who plays one of Holmes's henchmen (they're not called "Baker Street Irregulars" in the film.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

crazy canuck

Watched Amazing Grace with my son (who had to do it for a socials assignment).  Not sure how much he liked it but I thougt it was great.

garbon

This week Girls featured Dunham in what I guess is lingerie...looked like a black web. :hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

Quote from: garbon on March 10, 2014, 11:27:47 AM
This week Girls featured Dunham in what I guess is lingerie...looked like a black web. :hmm:

:yucky:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 10, 2014, 12:42:54 PM
Quote from: garbon on March 10, 2014, 11:27:47 AM

:yucky:

I posted just for you. :hug:

Beenherebefore

Just got a hint that "Red Riding" by Channel 4 was the inspiration for "True Detective". I have no idea, really.

I loved "True Detective", mostly because Rustin Cohle was such a character. McConaghey sure grew out of teen flicks and into a very capable actor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Riding

David Peace also wrote "The Damned United", which he was sued for by both the Brian Clough estate and former Leeds players like Johnny Giles.
The artist formerly known as Norgy