News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

What kind of contract has a clause that states if the signature is a forgery, the original party is not allowed to disclose this fact for 12 months?  :huh:

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 18, 2014, 07:20:30 PM
I don't get the James Franco hate.  I mean, it's not like we're being overdosed by him to such a degree and with such severity as we were in previous eras, such as the Age of Colin Farrell or, more recently, the Ryan Reynolds Phase or Ryan Gosling Era.

He insists upon himself.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: celedhring on January 18, 2014, 07:18:02 PM
Anyway, just watched a terrible Keanu Reeves film on the telly: The Watcher. It's an awful 90s psycho-thriller where he plays a serial killer chased by James Spader. Anyway the most interesting bit of the film is something I found on the wiki:

QuoteReeves has stated that he was not interested in the script but was forced into doing the film when a friend forged his signature on a contract. He performed the role rather than get involved in a lengthy legal battle. He was contractually prevented from disclosing this until twelve months after the film's US release

I doubt Reeves even knew he was shooting a movie back then.  Too busy smoking dope with his band buddies.

The Brain

Which reminds me, I saw Indy Jones and the crystal skull bs. John Hurt seemed completely out of it, I doubt he knew they were shooting a movie.

The nuclear fridge survival capsule made sense though.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

Quote from: Ideologue on January 18, 2014, 07:14:43 PM
Quote from: celedhring on January 18, 2014, 07:10:29 PM
Spring Breakers has popped up in several "Best of 2013" lists. I don't think it completely works, but it's an interesting film. Plus it has hot drunken chicks in bikini.

Indeed.  Part of the reason why I needed to watch it--it's one of the last American "important" narrative films of 2013 that I hadn't already caught.  The remaining two are the Coens' Inside Llewyn Davis, All Is Lost with Robert Redford, and arguably (in terms of importance, but it was a big movie) Prisoners, which is about Wolverine beating up a retarded guy.

Did you find SB as abhorrently right-wing as I did?

If you mean as a celebration of a right wing fantasy of gun toting chicks going on a spree, I don't think the film has to be read that way. I found it more a reductio ad absurdum of what a Spring Break is, an extreme vision of the disconnect between what youth seek as "life" and what society has established for them (school).

Prisoners is a fine film. Took me by surprise since I hadn't any advance word of it, and presumed it would be just a decent-ish thriller.

Franco studied at my faculty, wish I hadn't deleted the phone snap I had of him sleeping in class.

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 18, 2014, 07:21:26 PM
What kind of contract has a clause that states if the signature is a forgery, the original party is not allowed to disclose this fact for 12 months?  :huh:

It's common to introduce clauses that forbid you to speak negatively or disclose materials that would hurt a production you're working in as a complement to all the NDA provisions. I have signed a few of those.

They could have negotiated that specific bit afterwards, too.

Ideologue

Yeah, if Reeves accepted the contract as valid specifically to avoid a legal battle, the last thing he'd want to do is break his NDA.  Because, then: legal battle.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

katmai

Quote from: celedhring on January 18, 2014, 07:40:32 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 18, 2014, 07:21:26 PM

It's common to introduce clauses that forbid you to speak negatively or disclose materials that would hurt a production you're working in as a complement to all the NDA provisions. I have signed a few of those.

They could have negotiated that specific bit afterwards, too.

I had to wait three years after airing of the Palin show before could discuss it. Under threat of $4 million dollar NDA.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Eddie Teach

Does that mean you can talk about it now?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

katmai

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 18, 2014, 08:39:51 PM
Does that mean you can talk about it now?

Yep as it aired between Nov-Dec of 2010.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Eddie Teach

Anything worth talking about?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: katmai on January 18, 2014, 08:20:16 PM
I had to wait three years after airing of the Palin show before could discuss it. Under threat of $4 million dollar NDA.

Lolz, the collections efforts alone would've been worth it.

Kleves

Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit. Very much an American Bond movie. Complete with utterly nonsensical plot, confusingly edited fight scenes, and half-assed attempts to inject "realism" into the proceedings.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Admiral Yi

Iron Man Trois.

Not sure what I think of it.

celedhring

It has some truly brilliant stuff (like Ben Kingsley's character) mixed with some moronic stuff. It reeks a lot of  "our hero is so powerful that we have to find ways so he can't use his powers", so Iron Man isn't Iron Man during most part of the movie, which sucks. The whole redemption angle with Stark is reaaaally played out after three movies. Also...

[spoiler]Once it's revealed that Kingsley isn't the antagonist, the real baddie is boring and sucky. A superhero movie lives and dies by its villain, imho.[/spoiler]

Still, far better than the second. And RDJ still makes it watchable by himself.