News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on August 26, 2013, 01:25:25 PM
Saw The World's End which was very funny - though sadly enough it reminded me of several of the people I knew.  :hmm:

Ah, want to see that one.

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 26, 2013, 03:13:25 PM
Saw The World's End which was very funny - though sadly enough it reminded me of several of the people I knew.  :hmm:

See it, and wonder if a Languish pub crawl would have ended differently.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on August 26, 2013, 03:39:42 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on August 26, 2013, 03:13:25 PM

See it, and wonder if a Languish pub crawl would have ended differently.  ;)

I have been on two of them so I shall compare and contrast.

Josephus

Breaking BAd [spoiler]I thought Jesse's epiphany was a bit sudden and unexplained. Not sure how he got to the 'walt poisoned kid' discovery.[/spoiler]
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Ideologue

I watched it yesterday.  Thought it kind of blew.  2013: the year of disappointments at every turn. <_<

Full write-up: It wants to hide inside an imitation

The World's End (2013) C+
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Syt

Bryan Cranston scheduled to be the new Lex Luthor in the Man of Steel sequel.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on August 27, 2013, 12:16:25 AM

I watched it yesterday.  Thought it kind of blew.  2013: the year of disappointments at every turn. <_<

Did the film explain why going to all these different pubs was so important?  Does the same beer at different places taste different in England or something?

Scipio

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 27, 2013, 06:25:05 AM

Did the film explain why going to all these different pubs was so important?  Does the same beer at different places taste different in England or something?
Generally, those sorts of pubs serve "real ales," i.e., not fizzy yellow crap.  There are dozens of real ales in the UK, and typically a small town's pubs would each serve some different real ales.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

CountDeMoney

So, Pub A would serve Ale A, and Pub B would serve Ale B, and so on?  Just one big nation of microbreweries?

Malthus

Full write-up: It wants to hide inside an imitation

The World's End (2013) C+

You are just sore about the Gary King comparison.  :P

Myself, I'd rate it as the least of the three (I liked Shawn of the Dead the best), but that still puts it light-years above any other comedy I've seen this year.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 27, 2013, 07:15:03 AM
So, Pub A would serve Ale A, and Pub B would serve Ale B, and so on?  Just one big nation of microbreweries?

The notion is that each pub would have individuality both of atmosphere and of available brews.

Needless to say, that notion gets lampooned - hard - in the movie.

viper37

Quote from: Savonarola on August 26, 2013, 12:06:03 PM
Cloud Atlas (2012)

The film interleaves six loosely interrelated stories set over a period of five hundred years; each of the stories is a morality play that demonstrates we should be kind to one another1.:)  Unfortunately the message is obvious about half an hour into the three hour movie; so the viewer is stuck watching the same obvious conclusion unfold six times over.

Yoshihiro Nakamura "Fish Story" and DW Griffith's "Intolerance" both use a similar narrative technique to a much better effect.  "Cloud Atlas" does make good use of it's enormous special effects and make up budget as well as its all star cast.  The film is watchable even if a little trite and over-long.

1.  The opposite message of "Languish: The Motion Picture."
about what I would have said, had I an easyness with the verb that rival yours :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Caliga

Quote from: Malthus on August 27, 2013, 09:57:17 AM
Myself, I'd rate it as the least of the three (I liked Shawn of the Dead the best), but that still puts it light-years above any other comedy I've seen this year.
I liked it and I agree Shawn of the Dead was better.  I haven't seen Hot Fuzz so can't say overall which is the best.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 27, 2013, 06:25:05 AM

Well, initially, I think it's just the idea of going from place to place and having a pint is kind of a fun one.  I mean, pub crawls are a thing.

If you mean, why do they keep going to all these different pubs after the aliens reveal themselves, no, not really.  A few lines are uttered to try to paper over it, but no.

Quote from: MalthusYou are just sore about the Gary King comparison.  :P

Maybe. -_-

But I'm really more sore that they abandoned the sound structural sensibilities that had characterized the other two Cornetto movies.  Shaun of the Dead is at the end of the day a really good zombie movie (it is low praise, but it is probably my second favorite in the subgenre, unless you count Evil Dead films).  Hot Fuzz is likewise a really good run-and-gun action movie better than most non-parody action movies.  World's End is a really sloppy, kind of bad body snatcher movie.

And it's not as funny.

QuoteMyself, I'd rate it as the least of the three (I liked Shawn of the Dead the best), but that still puts it light-years above any other comedy I've seen this year.

It's not even the best apocalypse comedy I've seen this year. :P
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on August 27, 2013, 10:54:12 AM
Well, initially, I think it's just the idea of going from place to place and having a pint is kind of a fun one.  I mean, pub crawls are a thing.

Sure, it's a thing.  It's a pretty stupid thing, though.  It's a lot easier to stay in one place and get drunk than going to different places and getting drunk on the same beer.   Doesn't seem very pragmatic, particulary if there are differing costs, etc.  And why would you drink different beers anyway and make yourself sick, all the while becoming progressively more intoxicated over the course of the evening, increasing your chances with the possibility of DWI arrests or traffic accidents?

QuoteIf you mean, why do they keep going to all these different pubs after the aliens reveal themselves, no, not really.  A few lines are uttered to try to paper over it, but no.

No, I was simply asking about the pub crawling thing, and wondering if they explained it at all.  Having aliens in the story doesn't make it any more plausible, though.