Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on August 07, 2013, 10:52:07 PM
Quote from: Neil on August 07, 2013, 10:45:27 PM
I'm discussing girls.

Maybe if she swept her hair over a bit?  I like to see a bit of forehead on a woman.

Ah, I see.  I like bangs.

It's why Olivia Wilde is so much better looking in Tron Legacy than anything else she's ever been in.  Still beautiful, sure, but the bangs made a better frame.  I am aware it was a wig and those have a lot of tactile and practicality issues (and I am one who knows -_- ) but it looked great.
Do black women wear wigs?  I've only ever met a handful before, seeing as how I like to live in places where the cold keeps the riff-raff out.

Yeah, it doesn't take much forehead, but there had to be some.  Even like an Anne Hathaway pixie cut is just fine.  Generally though I prefer longer hair, worn up.  Not in pigtails though.  That's weird.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ideologue

Quote from: Neil on August 07, 2013, 11:06:30 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on August 07, 2013, 10:52:07 PM
Quote from: Neil on August 07, 2013, 10:45:27 PM
I'm discussing girls.

Maybe if she swept her hair over a bit?  I like to see a bit of forehead on a woman.

Ah, I see.  I like bangs.

It's why Olivia Wilde is so much better looking in Tron Legacy than anything else she's ever been in.  Still beautiful, sure, but the bangs made a better frame.  I am aware it was a wig and those have a lot of tactile and practicality issues (and I am one who knows -_- ) but it looked great.
Do black women wear wigs?

Some/many.  Africa did.

However, Viking's convinced me that a Real Man could only possibly appreciate a giant afro.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Oh yeah, and meant to say:

QuoteGenerally though I prefer longer hair, worn up

Really depends for me.  If it's relatively ornate, like going-to-prom-this-cost-me-$100, I tend to like it.  Just ponytails and stuff I don't care for at all.  I guess it's the forehead thing.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Viking

Quote from: Neil on August 07, 2013, 11:03:28 PM
Quote from: Viking on August 07, 2013, 10:50:00 PM
A full head of healthy hair is a sign of lack of illness and genetic disorders, just like the hour glass shape, sufficient breasts, clear skin, symmetrical features, good and straight teeth and fingernails. These are all signs of reproductive health.
And I think that's an overly simplistic look at a very complex issue.  There are a huge number of things that feed into sexuality, and evolutionary factors are just one of them, and not especially important ones either.  And the hourglass figure thing is simply ridiculous, taking a temporary fashion and trying to make it into some kind of greater theme.

Yes it is a simplistic look at a very complex issue. It is also a substantially significant view of the same complex issue. It is, however, significant to our cave men ancestors. What makes this issue complex is that culture constantly interferes and culture beats biology virtually every time. What culture usually does is to grotesquely exhaggerate one or two features, different variants of each you might see in the venus of willendorf, on the cover of FHM and on the cover of Vogue. You also get indicators of status or community belonging like the pale skin and small breast favored by aristocratic women of the middle ages suggesting not having to work or nurse or the heroin chic suggesting membership in an apparently elite cultural club.

The classic signs of beauty are precisely that classic and they return each generation.

And yes, women with big afros are hott.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

Quote from: Ideologue on August 07, 2013, 11:13:18 PM

Really depends for me.  If it's relatively ornate, like going-to-prom-this-cost-me-$100, I tend to like it.  Just ponytails and stuff I don't care for at all.  I guess it's the forehead thing.

showing off clear forehead -> demonstrating clear skin, yet another sign of health and fertility.

Ultimately it is all about sex and babies.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 06, 2013, 04:08:57 AM
Warm Bodies- Different(and better) than expected. I think this is the first time I've seen Rob Cordry play a character that wasn't a loud-mouthed asshole.  :hmm:

Just watched it. Was fun even though a bit slow at times. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Quote from: Wikingshowing off clear forehead -> demonstrating clear skin, yet another sign of health and fertility.

Sure.

So: short hair, demonstrating higher mobility, less cover for endemic louse affliction, harder to immediately neutralize in combat, and less likely to get caught in a Goddamned bush when fleeing tigers.
Kinemalogue

Neil

It wasn't even significant to them.  Cave men had culture, and even in pre-sophonts it's the job of the female to lifeguard the gene pool.  Only in rare two-way monogamous populations do males have to be selective in their choice of partner.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Viking

Quote from: Ideologue on August 07, 2013, 11:27:08 PM
Quote from: Wikingshowing off clear forehead -> demonstrating clear skin, yet another sign of health and fertility.

Sure.

So: short hair, demonstrating higher mobility, less cover for endemic louse affliction, harder to immediately neutralize in combat, and less likely to get caught in a Goddamned bush when fleeing tigers.

eh, no..

no effect on mobility, long healthy hair demonstrating resistance to louse infection for a prolonged period of time, women don't fight and  tigers are ambush predators which don't chase, they jump on you and bite the back of your skull off.

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on August 07, 2013, 11:13:18 PM

Ponytails might be my favorite hairstyle.  Either that or a bun.

Ideologue

Well, it's diff'rent strokes.  And ponytails do have their uses.

Try telling that to Viking, whom I imagine has never tried to run with two feet of hair on his scalp and in his eyes or seen someone doing it without the ponytail's benefit.
Kinemalogue

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Viking on August 07, 2013, 11:29:36 PM
eh, no..

no effect on mobility, long healthy hair demonstrating resistance to louse infection for a prolonged period of time, women don't fight and  tigers are ambush predators which don't chase, they jump on you and bite the back of your skull off.

I could see how short hair might be an advantage in a catfight though. But matriarchal societies don't last, if they've actually existed.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

11B4V

Quote from: Ideologue on August 07, 2013, 11:27:08 PM

Sure.

I seen what you did Ide.  ;)

Wiking
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Josephus

We were discussing camel toes at one point, now we're onto hair. We discuss a whole range of serious topics here.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

CountDeMoney

I have a camel hair blazer somewhere.