News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

We have met the enemy and he is PowerPoint

Started by Alatriste, April 29, 2010, 04:58:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Quote from: DGuller on April 30, 2010, 06:30:27 PM
I like PowerPoint, although I hate doing anything that actually requires it.  It helps you to pare down the idea to an essential outline, and then build up on it.  It's not like you're just supposed to reduce the ideas to bullet points, and leave it at that.  You should probably do more than just read the slides aloud while doing a presentation.

I like to play videos also. My current fav is the clip of Miroslav's Satan's goofy goal dance.

You too can jog towards your goal!

:blush:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

grumbler

Quote from: Caliga on April 30, 2010, 06:27:06 PM
PowerPoint :bleeding:

I refuse to prepare anything using it.  My design documents are always done in Word.  If I need to do a mockup it gets done in Word or Excel GODDAMNIT. :mad:
PowerPoint luddites :bleeding:

Glad you refuse to use modern technology.  More jobs for those who don't reject useful things based on bumper-sticker thinking.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

CountDeMoney

I always use PowerPoint to support my sense of humor, engaging personality and obtuse flirting, not to replace it.

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 30, 2010, 07:02:42 PM
I always use PowerPoint to support my sense of humor, engaging personality and obtuse flirting, not to replace it.
Exactly.

The key to using PowerPoint well is the slide titles.  They should be short, declarative sentences, supported by the bullet points/images in the body.  If you cannot think of a short, declarative sentence to title the slide, dump it.  If the short, declarative sentence doesn't support your thesis (which should be in the title slide), dump the sentence and the slide.

An effective PP presentation is an essay, with a thesis, evidence and conclusion.   It is like a miniskirt:  long enough to cover the topic, but short enough to be interesting.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Jaron

Quote from: grumbler on April 30, 2010, 07:16:33 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 30, 2010, 07:02:42 PM
Exactly.

The key to using PowerPoint well is the slide titles.  They should be short, declarative sentences, supported by the bullet points/images in the body.  If you cannot think of a short, declarative sentence to title the slide, dump it.  If the short, declarative sentence doesn't support your thesis (which should be in the title slide), dump the sentence and the slide.

An effective PP presentation is an essay, with a thesis, evidence and conclusion.   It is like a miniskirt:  long enough to cover the topic, but short enough to be interesting.

Spoken like an out of touch teacher. A PP presentation is not an essay. It is a work of art through which the artist carries the ideas from the mind and gives them life and visualization.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

grumbler

Quote from: Jaron on April 30, 2010, 07:19:08 PM
Spoken like an out of touch teacher. A PP presentation is not an essay. It is a work of art through which the artist carries the ideas from the mind and gives them life and visualization.
You are repeating me, but without understanding me.  Time will give you the wisdom to understand, Padawan.

Bayraktar!

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

garbon

I'm a powerpoint goddess, j-dawg. I can give you some tips.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on April 30, 2010, 08:52:07 PM
I'm a powerpoint goddess, j-dawg. I can give you some tips.
J-dawg, you should definitely follow the lead of someone who, for some reason, doesn't tell you her secrets, rather than one who does.
After all, you = FIAL = me = YES  :cool:

Bayraktar!

garbon

All I've done for the last 3 years is make powerpoint presentations. Not really a secret.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.