Stephen Hawking; Aliens Likely to be Hostile.

Started by jimmy olsen, April 25, 2010, 09:14:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: Fate on April 26, 2010, 11:47:27 AM
Are you retarded? (yes)

Large insects are physiologically impossible.
Not really.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Fate

Quote from: Neil on April 26, 2010, 11:58:57 AM
Quote from: Fate on April 26, 2010, 11:47:27 AM
Are you retarded? (yes)

Large insects are physiologically impossible.
Not really.
Yes really. The process of diffusion is universal. Insects on Earth live with the same surface area to volume restrictions as insects on Vega 4.

Grey Fox

What about giant insects that, you know, lived on Earth?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Brain

I have always maintained that we should avoid revealing ourselves to alien civilizations unless it is to conquer them in one fell swoop.

I have never heard about Hawking being any good at politics though. His predictions in the field hold little value. Isn't he a physicist? 
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: Neil on April 26, 2010, 11:58:57 AM
Not really.
If Neil is omnipotent, can he invent a Fate so trollish even Neil falls for the troll? :hmm:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Neil

Quote from: Fate on April 26, 2010, 12:08:43 PM
Yes really. The process of diffusion is universal. Insects on Earth live with the same surface area to volume restrictions as insects on Vega 4.
It's easy to change the oxygen concentration in the atmosphere or in the sea.  However, past a certain size, active respiration is required.

I think the point here is that you're not thinking hard enough.  Try being less stupid, and your problems will become much more manageable.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Josephus

What ever happened to that game? You know the one were you were supposed to build alien life from scratch and evolve; and was the most hyped game in Christendom?
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Brain

Quote from: Josephus on April 26, 2010, 01:01:36 PM
What ever happened to that game? You know the one were you were supposed to build alien life from scratch and evolve; and was the most hyped game in Christendom?

It transcended material existence.

DontSayBanana

Here's a thought: rather than greed, is it possible the technological innovation shown by humans is driven by vanity?  I'd see it as a sign that we perceive ourselves to be the peak of evolution, rather than a stopping point, so we devise more and more methods for forcing our environment to suit us rather than the opposite way around... .
Experience bij!

The Brain

Quote from: DontSayBanana on April 26, 2010, 01:11:29 PM
Here's a thought: rather than greed, is it possible the technological innovation shown by humans is driven by vanity?  I'd see it as a sign that we perceive ourselves to be the peak of evolution, rather than a stopping point, so we devise more and more methods for forcing our environment to suit us rather than the opposite way around... .

Have you seen young people today? We ARE the peak of evolution.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: The Brain on April 26, 2010, 01:12:40 PM
Quote from: DontSayBanana on April 26, 2010, 01:11:29 PM

I rest my case. ^_^
Experience bij!

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on April 26, 2010, 01:12:40 PM

:hug:

Also the idea of changing oneself to suit one's environment is morally repugnant. Should our primary duty in life be to adopt a pose?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: grumbler on April 26, 2010, 07:34:47 AM
I find this argument over something no one could possibly know to be most amusing.  I especially enjoy the entirely uninformed speculation about how likely various completely hypothetical scenarios are.

Do carry on.  *pops popcorn*

It's Hawking's bleated april fool's joke.  :glare:

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Martim Silva on April 26, 2010, 10:10:16 AM
Way too many ifs.

Aliens could be so advanced as to just observe us as lab pets, and we wouldn't even know about them.

They could be beings we can barely percieve (different molecular structures and densities, for example) and we could be sharing a planet with them without even knowing.

They could be microscopic.

Maybe they cannot even "think" like we do, but able to percieve/change things in a way we can't even fathom.

Maybe they'll look just like us (and then we could have an old-fashioned war).

Impossible to tell. Maybe Humans will just be terrified of it all and try to kill all aliens.

We'll only know when it happens.

they will not, however, be communists