News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Question about the Electoral College

Started by jimmy olsen, April 22, 2010, 10:22:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Say there's a 3 way Presidential election and no one gets a majority of the Electoral votes so the election will be thrown in to the House of Representatives . However it's clear that the winner is going to be Candidate X because his party controls the majority of the House state delegations.

Is there anything for stopping Candidate Z from instructing his Electors from voting for Candidate Y (the less distasteful alternative) so it never gets to that point? I don't think there is, is there?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Savonarola

I believe some states have laws to punish "Faithless Electors."
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

A quick Google search revealed a complete list of Faithless Electors:

http://archive.fairvote.org/e_college/faithless.htm

Feel ashamed for them.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Savonarola on April 22, 2010, 10:33:49 AM
A quick Google search revealed a complete list of Faithless Electors:

http://archive.fairvote.org/e_college/faithless.htm

Feel ashamed for them.
Are they really faithless if their Candidate asks them to vote that way?

More importantly those laws are likely unconstitutional.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Fate

The Supreme Court is a political body. The laws may or may not be constitutional depending on the political affiliation of the injured party by a faithless elector. If the injured party was a Republican, then it's clearly unconstituional. If it's a Democrat, certainly it's within the rules.

MadImmortalMan

The Constitution provides no provision for political parties. It's blind to them. I don't see why that would matter.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

jimmy olsen

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 22, 2010, 11:36:23 AM
The Constitution provides no provision for political parties. It's blind to them. I don't see why that would matter.
Why bother responing to a Fate statement like that?

1 Karma Chameleon point

dps

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 22, 2010, 08:44:30 PM
Why bother responing to a Fate statement like that?

Why did you even bother starting this thread, seeing as how you seem to know that state laws to punish "faithless electors" are probably unconstitutional?

grumbler

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 22, 2010, 10:22:01 AM
Say there's a 3 way Presidential election and no one gets a majority of the Electoral votes so the election will be thrown in to the House of Representatives . However it's clear that the winner is going to be Candidate X because his party controls the majority of the House state delegations.

Is there anything for stopping Candidate Z from instructing his Electors from voting for Candidate Y (the less distasteful alternative) so it never gets to that point? I don't think there is, is there?
Electors don't belong to candidates, but a candidate could presumably tell them to do whatever he wants to tel them to do (vote for Y, pick up a sixpack on the way home, mail him/her $100, etc).  Whether they listen or not is up to them, though.  They are state party members, pledged to a slate.  The slate is how they are supposed to vote.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: grumbler on April 22, 2010, 09:11:33 PM

Electors don't belong to candidates, but a candidate could presumably tell them to do whatever he wants to tel them to do (vote for Y, pick up a sixpack on the way home, mail him/her $100, etc).  Whether they listen or not is up to them, though.  They are state party members, pledged to a slate.  The slate is how they are supposed to vote.
Hmm...interesting. :hmm:

Thank you.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Fate

The Constitution has provided no provision for curtailing right wing judicial activists bent on self reinforcing their majority by selecting right wing Presidents over left wing Presidents when presented the opportunity to influence the result.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Fate on April 23, 2010, 12:28:00 PM
The Constitution has provided no provision for curtailing right wing judicial activists bent on self reinforcing their majority by selecting right wing Presidents over left wing Presidents when presented the opportunity to influence the result.

Sure it has.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Drakken

Say there's a 3 way Presidential election.

Lost me right there. Will not happen in forseeable future, no need to clutch at straws.

grumbler

Quote from: Drakken on April 23, 2010, 02:47:19 PM
Say there's a 3 way Presidential election.

Lost me right there. Will not happen in forseeable future, no need to clutch at straws.
:huh:   What does that have to do with his hypothetical?  Is it just that you don't know what "clutch at straws" means?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Neil

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 23, 2010, 01:26:11 PM
Quote from: Fate on April 23, 2010, 12:28:00 PM

Sure it has.
Fate rule.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.