War veterans clash with government in Bosnia

Started by citizen k, April 21, 2010, 07:13:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

citizen k

QuoteWar veterans clash with government in Bosnia

Wednesday, April 21 09:08 pm
ITN

Police have fired teargas at thousands of veterans of Bosnia's 1992-95 war when they smashed the windows of government buildings during a protest against cuts to their benefits.

The former soldiers and their families arrived from across Bosnia's Muslim-Croat federation to express dissatisfaction that the government has launched austerity measures under an IMF stand-by deal by first cutting their payments.

The protests turned violent even before its official start, with some groups pushing and bringing down a protective fence and smashing government building windows with stones.

Special police forces in full riot gear stood between protesters and the building after using teargas. Dozens of people were given first aid due to breathing problems and fifteen protesters were injured, two seriously, doctors from Sarajevo's Cinical Centre said.

Bosnia clinched the 1.2 billion euros stand-by arrangement with the International Monetary Fund last year to ease the impact of the global economic crisis and preserve fiscal stability. Under the deal, the government of Bosnia's two regions, the Muslim-Croat federation and the Serb Republic, have to cut public spending and especially generous benefits granted to veterans groups as a pre-election sweetener in 2006.

The veterans are strongly opposed to the introduction of a property census as the main criterion for their payments, due to come into force in January 2011.

Razgovory

Dose rounding up young men and boys and shooting them in ditch count toward being a war veteran?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Razgovory on April 21, 2010, 07:15:44 PM
Dose rounding up young men and boys and shooting them in ditch count toward being a war veteran?

It depends. Killing Serbs = hero and war veteran.
Killing Croats, Bosniaks, etc. = war criminal
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help