School lunches called a national security threat

Started by Siege, April 21, 2010, 05:36:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Quote from: Brazen on April 21, 2010, 06:15:11 AM
I recommend re-introducing the school lunches of my youth, which were so shit no-one wanted to eat them.

I miss the soy burgers of my youth.  :(
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

KRonn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 21, 2010, 06:58:27 AM
Quote from: Brazen on April 21, 2010, 06:05:00 AM
Yeah, I was thinking that. Sending all willing chubby recruits to a pre-training fitness boot camp would be a win-win situation, I'd have thought.
How much time out of a 2 year enlistment do you figure that would take?
It would have to take more time and money to get these recruits into condition to qualify. Plus I'd think there's a more likely problem for people over weight at a young age to have problems with weight later on during their time in the military, having trouble remaining qualified.

DGuller

Meh, if it takes an excuse as weak as this to stop feeding garbage to children, then go for it.  I'd prefer people to call spade a spade, and say that fattening the kids is just utterly morally irresponsible, but you take what you can get.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: DGuller on April 21, 2010, 08:26:41 AM
Meh, if it takes an excuse as weak as this to stop feeding garbage to children, then go for it.  I'd prefer people to call spade a spade, and say that fattening the kids is just utterly morally irresponsible, but you take what you can get.

But fat kids are funny. If we start making them healthy, who can we make fun of? :(
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Berkut

When I went to basic, part of the pre-processing was a PT test, and if you failed it, you got sent to the fat platoon pre-basic camp thing.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Monoriu

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 21, 2010, 06:58:27 AM
Quote from: Brazen on April 21, 2010, 06:05:00 AM
Yeah, I was thinking that. Sending all willing chubby recruits to a pre-training fitness boot camp would be a win-win situation, I'd have thought.
How much time out of a 2 year enlistment do you figure that would take?

Then change the rules.  Anyone who is above xx kg when signing up must sign a 3 year enlistment, the first xx months of which is spent getting into shape. 

dps

The government had no business using the school system to provide lunches to students in the first place.

Razgovory

Quote from: dps on April 21, 2010, 08:55:35 PM
The government had no business using the school system to provide lunches to students in the first place.

Or having a military for that matter.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: Monoriu on April 21, 2010, 06:07:42 AM
Instead of changing lunch standards, which affect tons of students who have no interest in joining the military whatsoever, why doesn't the military change recruitment and training procedures?  Why not accept obese recruits and train them to meet fitness standards within a reasonable time period?

You should know the answer: it's more costly to spend extra time training obese recruits or to send them to a fat camp.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Faeelin

Quote from: Siege on April 21, 2010, 05:37:13 AM
Well, at least 3/4 of american kids still good for filling the ranks.

Less. The gays are more likely to be in good shape.

Mr.Penguin

Quote from: Siege on April 21, 2010, 05:37:13 AM
Well, at least 3/4 of american kids still good for filling the ranks.

But they dont have the right level of education, other health issues or criminal record, so you are left with a number about  1/3 to fill the ranks...
Real men drag their Guns into position

Spell check is for losers

Lucidor

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017