Volcano eruption in Iceland disrupts UK, Norwegian flights

Started by Martinus, April 15, 2010, 03:53:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Legbiter

Quote from: Syt on April 18, 2010, 02:53:00 PM
Some German airlines seem to raise the question of who is going to pay for the - in their eyes - unnecessary flight bans.

Unnecessary?

There is no denying that Finland has several F-18's damaged by volcanic ash. Also, these test flights they did were only an hour long. Are these airline executives ready to guarantee that the ash cloud will remain thin throughout the flight path of air routes? It might be safe to fly over Germany at 3pm on Tuesday, but not safe an hour later when a thicker part of the ash cloud moves in.

These airlines should only be allowed to fly tomorrow if their executives agree to sit on these flights while they occur. Might make them more objective. 
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Legbiter

Ok I've thought about this some more and the airlines are probably just establishing the narrative they're going to use when they hit the taxpayer up for bailout money. Or at least I hope so.

The Larch

Funny side of the environmental impact of the volcano, CO2 wise.

Razgovory

Didn't Hans tell you?  C02 is a hoaxed designed to get climate scientists money, power, and babes.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

Quote from: alfred russel on April 18, 2010, 02:39:35 PM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 18, 2010, 07:02:56 AM
Yes, maybe only one in thousand flights would be affected, but apparently there are some 17,000 flights cancelled today.

Acceptable losses. If the 8th Air Force wasn't willing to fly with those odds, the Luftwaffe would still be patrolling Europe.
Not really.  The 8th Air Force didn't really have much to do with the defeat of Germany.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Jaron

Quote from: Neil on April 18, 2010, 06:23:38 PM
Yes, maybe only one in thousand flights would be affected, but apparently there are some 17,000 flights cancelled today.

Acceptable losses. If the 8th Air Force wasn't willing to fly with those odds, the Luftwaffe wIould still be patrolling Europe.
Not really.  The 8th Air Force didn't really have much to do with the defeat of Germany.

The Germans would have destroyed the US army if they had unchallenged air superiority.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Zanza

A meeting at work today was cancelled because our colleagues from Germany couldn't come...

Neil

Quote from: Jaron on April 18, 2010, 06:33:04 PM
Quote from: Neil on April 18, 2010, 06:23:38 PM

Acceptable losses. If the 8th Air Force wasn't willing to fly with those odds, the Luftwaffe wIould still be patrolling Europe.
The Germans would have destroyed the US army if they had unchallenged air superiority.
The Eighth Air Force didn't provide air superiority for the US Army.  That was the Ninth and Twelfth Air Forces.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Syt

Quote from: Legbiter on April 18, 2010, 05:01:59 PM
Quote from: Syt on April 18, 2010, 02:53:00 PM
Some German airlines seem to raise the question of who is going to pay for the - in their eyes - unnecessary flight bans.

Unnecessary?

Not the correct word I used - excessive is better.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Zanza

I wonder if this whole thing was blown (:P) way out of proportion. Reminds me a bit of the swine flu and various earlier panics when governments took ridiculously overblown courses of actions against crises that were in hindsight nothing special.

Richard Hakluyt

Gets the population accustomed to being shunted around, good training for docility  :tinfoil:

Jaron

Oh, well I was talking about in general. If you weren't then carry on. :P  :homestar:
Winner of THE grumbler point.

citizen k

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 19, 2010, 02:29:08 AM
Gets the population accustomed to being shunted around, good training for docility  :tinfoil:

Or non-shunting around.  ;)

Legbiter

The ash plume is smaller today than yesterday. So with luck the conveyor belt of ash towards Europe will start to slow down.

Zanza

The German economy exports goods worth 1 billion Euro per day by air freight. And complicated supply chains depend on air freight, so this will cause further damage as e.g. manufacturing plants will soon run out of components.

Meanwhile, my mother is trying to get on a ferry from Tunis to Marseille to at least be back in Europe...