News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Assyrian treaty tablet found - from 700 BC

Started by Jacob, April 10, 2010, 01:11:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/04/100408134519.htm?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+sciencedaily+(ScienceDaily%3A+Latest+Science+News)&utm_content=Google+International

"The tablet is quite spectacular. It records a treaty -- or covenant -- between Esarhaddon, King of the Assyrian Empire and a secondary ruler who acknowledged Assyrian power. The treaty was confirmed in 672 BCE at elaborate ceremonies held in the Assyrian royal city of Nimrud (ancient Kalhu). In the text, the ruler vows to recognize the authority of Esarhaddon's successor, his son Ashurbanipal," said Timothy Harrison, professor of near eastern archaeology in the Department of Near & Middle Eastern Civilizations and director of University of Toronto's Tayinat Archaeological Project (TAP).

Drakken

Wow, powerful given that this heir, Ashurbanipal, who was a mere 13 year old boy at the time of this treaty, would grow to become the last great King of Assyria.

At his death, the power struggle for his succession will indirectly lead to Niveveh falling down like 1945's Berlin a thousand times worse, exactly sixty years after that tablet's date.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"