News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Will the US Declare Economic War on China?

Started by jimmy olsen, March 28, 2010, 06:57:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 31, 2010, 10:07:43 AM

*One often hears ganshing of teeth about the decline in the US "industrial base" and claims that the US "does not make anything" anymore.  The data does not bear this out - the US actually runs a trade surplus in non-automotive capital goods, including a slight surplus in nonagricultural machinery.

I think we have the world's largest manufacturing sector, but I could be wrong.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Zanza

Quote from: alfred russel on March 31, 2010, 10:11:44 AMI think we have the world's largest manufacturing sector, but I could be wrong.
The US economy is three times the size of Japan and four times the size of China or Germany, so it would be extremely surprising it it wasn't the largest manufacturer in the world. And probably the largest in every other sector as well, even in mining or tourism or whatever.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: grumbler on March 31, 2010, 09:11:31 AM
  China's actions are harming China (and other low-wage countries even more) than they are the US.

But China's actions, by harming China (or to be more precise Chinese consumers) do harm the US and the rest of the world.  The problem is not that we are importing too much from China; it is that China is not importing enough from us.  Were the Chinese economy to be more balanced (and were Chinese policies not biased against US export strengths in services) this problem could be partially remedied. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

alfred russel

Quote from: Zanza on March 31, 2010, 10:21:01 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on March 31, 2010, 10:11:44 AMI think we have the world's largest manufacturing sector, but I could be wrong.
The US economy is three times the size of Japan and four times the size of China or Germany, so it would be extremely surprising it it wasn't the largest manufacturer in the world. And probably the largest in every other sector as well, even in mining or tourism or whatever.

We are awesome. But I think China is closer to us than that once you back out the currency issues.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

grumbler

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 31, 2010, 10:23:03 AM
Were the Chinese economy to be more balanced (and were Chinese policies not biased against US export strengths in services) this problem could be partially remedied.
See, that is a legit thing to fight a trade war over; I have always agreed with Adam Smith on the value of retaliatory tariffs.  This "wah, wah, the Chinese government is buying US treasury bills and depressing the value of their currency compared to ours" bleat is not.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Solmyr