Started by grumbler, April 08, 2009, 09:04:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: Barrister on April 26, 2009, 11:42:33 PM
Quote from: Neil on April 26, 2009, 09:10:54 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on April 26, 2009, 09:02:14 AM
Jesus tapdancing Christ.  :lol:
You think you did your research?

I know all.  I see all.  I am the one, true god.
It's amusing the one, true god isn't much better at NCAA 2006. :contract:
The college game is evil.  :p

Besides, wasn't I playing the Hurricanes?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: Siege on April 26, 2009, 11:40:41 PM
Quote from: Lettow77 on April 11, 2009, 07:30:47 PM
The answer lies in that I am suspicious and downright antagonistic of progress. I tend to swing for faith, valour tradition and moraltiy in the face of science, reason, industry and the whole progressive scene.

I really identify with agrarians, also, which 'civilisation' tends to deal roughly with.

Valour tradition?

What the hell is that?
Do you mean valor?
In that case, what would be a "valor tradition"?
Learn to spell, you ignorant wretch.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

grumbler

Quote from: Siege on April 26, 2009, 11:40:41 PM
Quote from: Lettow77 on April 11, 2009, 07:30:47 PM
The answer lies in that I am suspicious and downright antagonistic of progress. I tend to swing for faith, valour tradition and moraltiy in the face of science, reason, industry and the whole progressive scene.

I really identify with agrarians, also, which 'civilisation' tends to deal roughly with.

Valour tradition?

What the hell is that?
Do you mean valor?
In that case, what would be a "valor tradition"?
He meant "velour traditions." Stuff like this:

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

PDH

Quote from: grumbler on April 27, 2009, 08:53:32 AM
He meant "velour traditions." Stuff like this:
(img snip)
I love that 3-D picture, I just wish I had the glasses for them so the two images could combine to make Ronald Reagan.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Lettow77

Its true- It is valour & tradition, minus a comma and avoiding the yankee spelling of the word in favour of the correct one.

Although, the South -does- have a tradition of valour. Some of the best soldiers in the world.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Neil

Quote from: Lettow77 on April 27, 2009, 10:11:33 AM
Its true- It is valour & tradition, minus a comma and avoiding the yankee spelling of the word in favour of the correct one.

Although, the South -does- have a tradition of valour. Some of the best soldiers in the world.
Unfortunately for the South, their valour is inextricably linked to their racism.  The Southern Cavalier culture wasn't born to stand up to Northerners, Europeans, or even to ride down and conquer Mexicans, but rather to ensure the subordination of blacks by any means necessary.

Lettow77

The military elan that was instilled in the South preceded the South itself- it is primarily a manifestation of the South's celtic origins, and is at much in evidence at Culloden as Gettysburg.

The Celtic influences which defined the South and made disunion inevitable also all but consigned the South to ineffective & reckless tactics.

There is some truth, though, that the Southern vision of civilisation saw the free man as truly a free man, and relied on an underclass to accomplish this, as every society of free men had until that point.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

The Brain

Quote from: Lettow77 on April 27, 2009, 01:18:37 PM
The military elan that was instilled in the South preceded the South itself- it is primarily a manifestation of the South's celtic origins, and is at much in evidence at Culloden as Gettysburg.

The Celtic influences which defined the South and made disunion inevitable also all but consigned the South to ineffective & reckless tactics.

:yes:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Neil

There is some truth, though, that the Southern vision of civilisation saw the free man as truly a free man, and relied on an underclass to accomplish this, as every society of free men had until that point.
The North had exactly the same degree of celtic origin as the South, as both were settled from Great Britain, in part by criminals.

Also, I don't think you can pin the South's martial spirit on warriors of the past whose connection to the South is tenuous at best.  The South's martial spirit was a natural outgrowth of the American Revolution mixed with slavery, which itself is a mix of English and North American military styles.

Berkut

I am kind of ignorant of celtic military history - did they get their asses kicked at Culloden as well?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Ed Anger

I had a second coming about 30 minutes ago.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

ulmont

Quote from: Berkut on April 27, 2009, 02:17:38 PM
I am kind of ignorant of celtic military history - did they get their asses kicked at Culloden as well?

Yup.  Something like a 10-1 kill ratio in favor of the English.

Habsburg

I don't think I like the velour Jesus.

It makes him look like a hand-wringing, bed-wetting, Theresa Heinz-Kerry loving Hippy.  :uffda:

The Minsky Moment

The military elan that was instilled in the South preceded the South itself- it is primarily a manifestation of the South's celtic origins

:huh:

How far deep in the sack 'o stupid does one have to reach to pull out this gem?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Berkut on April 27, 2009, 02:17:38 PM

They were crushed in a brilliant victory for the neo-Hittite forces.

Many a bell beaker pot was smashed that fatal day.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson