News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

House to vote on health care reform Sunday.

Started by jimmy olsen, March 21, 2010, 07:49:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 25, 2010, 08:54:55 PM
Yeah, I know. It just feels sleazy to me. Starting with the end and working backward to find the authority. It's like starting with a conclusion and then looking for evidence to support it. I'd rather just pass an amendment saying congress shall provide health care. I'm an engineer at heart I suppose, not a politician.  :P
But then you would have to pass amendments allowing Congress to establish the interstate highway system, regulate the airwaves used by radio and TV stations, limit pollution, join the UN, provide foreign aid... the list of things allowed because of the interpretation (rather than enumeration) of federal power is almost endless.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Hansmeister

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 25, 2010, 10:51:41 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 25, 2010, 06:50:40 PM
These things always seem like logical acrobatics to me.

That is a valid objection.  There has always been a tension between the idea of a restrictive versus expansive interpretation of enumerated powers.  Marshall tended to push a more expansive interpretation, but gilded age courts were far more restrictive. From the early 30s to the 90s, the Court strongly pushed an expansive interpretation.  Since then there has been a backlash but only a very moderate one.  Justice Scalia's concurring opinion in Raich (that is the medical marijuana case referred to several times here) indicates that that even the conservative wing of the Court is not inclined to turn back the clock in giving a generous interpretation to federal authority, only to block the worst excesses.

Of course one could take a different view, but it would require a radical reorientation of the constitutional system and a repeal of the majority of the United States Code.

:thumbsup:

And this is exactly what needs to happen to undo the lawlessness perpetrated since the 1930s.

Neil

Quote from: Hansmeister on March 26, 2010, 07:36:55 PM
And this is exactly what needs to happen to undo the lawlessness perpetrated since the 1930s.
But since the 30s, the US has gone from being a backwards shithole to a real, unified country.  Why undo all that?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

grumbler

Quote from: Neil on March 26, 2010, 08:04:12 PM
But since the 30s, the US has gone from being a backwards shithole to a real, unified country.  Why undo all that?
Because some people feel more at home in a backwards shithole?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Neil

Quote from: grumbler on March 26, 2010, 08:07:37 PM
Quote from: Neil on March 26, 2010, 08:04:12 PM
Because some people feel more at home in a backwards shithole?
Then they should be exterminated, and their bodies donated to science.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

grumbler

Quote from: Neil on March 26, 2010, 08:10:36 PM
Why?  Does science have a shortage of Neanderthal corpses?

Bayraktar!

Agelastus

Quote from: grumbler on March 26, 2010, 08:12:11 PM

Yes. Look at how much trouble they are having getting usable DNA. Fresh samples would be greatly appreciated.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Neil

Quote from: grumbler on March 26, 2010, 08:12:11 PM
Science has no Neanderthal corpses.

That said, these aren't Neanderthals, as you said earlier that they were people.

stjaba

If that's how you feel, say goodbye to the Federal ban on partial-birth abortions. Interestingly enough, in Gonzalez v. Carhart,  which upheld the Federal ban on partial birth abortions, Justice Thomas's concurrence suggests that he doubts the Federal government has the authority to even ban partial birth abortions, but reserves comments since the challenging party did not challenge the statute under the commerce clause.

Fate

Quote from: stjaba on March 26, 2010, 08:26:52 PM

If that's how you feel, say goodbye to the Federal ban on partial-birth abortions. Interestingly enough, in Gonzalez v. Carhart,  which upheld the Federal ban on partial birth abortions, Justice Thomas's concurrence suggests that he doubts the Federal government has the authority to even ban partial birth abortions, but reserves comments since the challenging party did not challenge the statute under the commerce clause.

I don't think Neocons are overly concerned with abortion. Hans just wants wars, low taxes, and huge deficits.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Fate on March 26, 2010, 08:48:32 PM
I don't think Neocons are overly concerned with abortion. Hans just wants wars, low taxes, and huge deficits.
Surely they get a little satisfaction out of enriching their cronies, trampling on the Constitution, and watching black people drown too. :hmm:

Ed Anger

Dammit people. If you keep responding to it, it'll keep humping your leg.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

MadImmortalMan

You know, we could just pass an amendment granting all those powers right now and keep things as they are.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

katmai

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 27, 2010, 11:47:04 AM
Dammit people. If you keep responding to it, it'll keep humping your leg.
Sadly that is about all the action some languishites can get.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.