News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Obama denies crisis with Israel

Started by jimmy olsen, March 18, 2010, 12:36:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Hans and Siege agree on something. I guess that means Hans is guilty of well-poisoning by association.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Hansmeister on March 18, 2010, 09:14:53 PM
  He'd defend mengele if he had a (D) by his name.

Harry Mengeled?  Sure he sold the best knishes in Brooklyn and could play a decent game of chess to boot.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 18, 2010, 08:54:02 AM
Imagine an American government where in order to stay in power and get anything done, the leader had to get clearance from Pat Robertson and Glenn Beck, and where Beck was Secretary of State and Robertson was Secretary of HUD and also headed up a substantially revamped, powerful and Cabinet level office of "faith-based" initiatives.

That would give you some idea about where the current Israeli government is now.
I know.  I've never seen a Prime Minister have to apologise for his cabinet so much.  It's absurd and for someone who likes Israel very, very sad.  Whether it's Danny Ayalon deliberately humiliating the Turkish ambassador, I think the Shas party embarrassing Biden or Lieberman boycotting Lula's address to the Knesset because he didn't visit Herzl's grave it's unbelievable and very sad.  I can only hope that this coalition collapses and Kadima can be brought in to make up the numbers.

QuoteAmazingly, the Saudi Arabian gov't is now more pro-Israel than the US gov't, at least they back an Israeli air strike on Iran and have pledged to support it.
Well the Israelis have always had a relationship with the Saudis.  Of course the Saudis will be far less likely to maintain it after Danny Ayalon orchaestrated a photo of him and Feisal al-Saud.  That photo's got a lot of play in the Arab media, but I'm not convinced that the short-term PR boost of exposing an open secret is worth the potential cost of making the Saudis and other Arab states regret even their unofficial contacts with Israel.

Right now, tragically, the foreign policy face of Israel is that of a petulant child.  I didn't like Leberman but I thought Bibi was a strong and wily enough politician to control things, I'm not so sure anymore.
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

What is the deal with Ayalon anyway?  I thought he was a diplomat.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Quote from: Razgovory on March 20, 2010, 12:30:45 PM
What is the deal with Ayalon anyway?  I thought he was a diplomat.
He was.  But he's been a ham-handed Deputy Foreign Minister since he became a politician.
Let's bomb Russia!