News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

I need a vacation, people

Started by MadImmortalMan, March 09, 2010, 03:14:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

Mrs. MIM and I are trying to decide where to go this year. It's been a couple years since our last trip to Europe and we're due. Since her work brought her to Dublin regularly before, we kinda had an impetus to go. Now Mrs. MIM has moved to a different job in the Evil Empire without a counterpart in Ireland, so it's no longer the automatic destination. But I do love it there.

Anyway, one trip I do want to do soon is NYC. I haven't been there since I was a kid, and I'd love to check out all of the foodie treasures and general sybaritic goodness. But that's a bit of a smaller affair, and not for this year. Or maybe in addition to the big vacation.

So where should I go? I want something creative and not-generally-touristy. When we passed by the Tower of London the last time around, it was jam-packed with Americans wearing Texas Longhorns gear. So we skipped it. I've still never been there despite having been to London several times. I don't like the beach. Not big on clubbing. Usually, I tool around Ireland looking at old castles and battlefields. Actually, I look at battlefields when I'm traveling around the US too.  :P

Istanbul struck me as an awesome idea. Sounds like a great place for both food and history. Wouldn't want to get caught in a civil war though. Another thing I considered is one of those cruises down the Danube. The idea of a cruise in general is a bit distasteful to me though. Trapped on a boat with a bunch of people I don't want to be around, only able to get off when the rest of them do and see the sights when the rest of them see them. I like to wander on my own. Blend in. 

As for budget---well there really isn't one at the moment. We've tried going the cheap hotel route while across the pond and that has been a disappointment generally. You don't rate your hotels the same way we do over here. You're way too generous with the stars if you know what I mean. It doesn't have to be Hotel Babylon, but I'm willing to pay extra to be comfy.

Another thing I like about Ireland is that they love Americans there. My accent will get me an extra smile from the ladies. I'm guessing I can't really expect that in very many places. I guess my problem is too many possibilities and I don't know where to start.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Jacob

Don't worry about getting any flack for being American.  People really won't care much whereever you go, and when they do it'll still likely be some sort of interest rather than anything else.

I think Istanbul would be a lot more interesting than Ireland, given you've been to Ireland already.  And if there's a civil war coming, you'll want to see it before then, right?

I'd consider Scandinavia too, for the English access and for the 'slightly off the beaten path' bits, at least for Americans.  Both Copenhagen and Stockholm are nice cities to visit, though I'd stick to late spring, summer and early autumn.

For food and history, few places beat Italy; ask CC, he has some good recommendations I think.  But really, most places would be good one way or another.

Oexmelin

Jacob is right. People who get flak are people who conform to the worst type of tourist, regardless of nationality.

France is also great for food, wine, history: many regions are still under visited by tourists, for no reason. Still Provence, Brittany, PĂ©rigord, Burgundy, Languedoc are wonderful places to visit.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Razgovory

I always figured the people who get the worst flak aren't really tourists but people who just fly over a country and drop bombs.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Quote from: Jacob on March 09, 2010, 04:02:48 PM
Don't worry about getting any flack for being American.  People really won't care much whereever you go, and when they do it'll still likely be some sort of interest rather than anything else.

I think Istanbul would be a lot more interesting than Ireland, given you've been to Ireland already.  And if there's a civil war coming, you'll want to see it before then, right?

I'd consider Scandinavia too, for the English access and for the 'slightly off the beaten path' bits, at least for Americans.  Both Copenhagen and Stockholm are nice cities to visit, though I'd stick to late spring, summer and early autumn.

For food and history, few places beat Italy; ask CC, he has some good recommendations I think.  But really, most places would be good one way or another.
Scandinavia is nice but dull. Not a good holiday place
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 09, 2010, 03:14:54 PM
I guess my problem is too many possibilities and I don't know where to start.

The guidelines of creative and not very touristy doesnt really narrow it down for us.  As Jacob suggested my personal favourite is small town Italy where the locals are shocked to see any English speaking tourists.  You get amazing food, wine and history at a very reasonable price. 

We are thinking about exploring Spain using the same philosophy next.

But that sort of travel isnt for everyone.  You really have to figure out what you want out of the trip and then read some travel magazines/sites to get a flavour for what you are looking for.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 09, 2010, 04:59:48 PM
The guidelines of creative and not very touristy doesnt really narrow it down for us.

Part of my problem when it comes to stuff like this is that I really don't know what I want to do. I'm open to an awful lot of things, so it's tough to be specific about it. I need some ideas so I can at least get something to start with. Maybe I should throw darts at a map or something.

Anybody do anything recently they really enjoyed?

crazy canuck

As an example, this is what I mean by traveling in small town Italy.

If you like this sort of thing I can give you more info on other sites around Italy.

This place is my personal favourite.  We make a point of staying here on every trip.

http://www.malvarina.it/agriturismo_albergo_diffuso_di_campagna_assisi_eng.html

MadImmortalMan

Oh, now that's cool.

Edit: Is that curing meat hanging from the ceiling?

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

I've heard good things about Sri Lanka.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 09, 2010, 07:01:27 PM
Oh, now that's cool.

Edit: Is that curing meat hanging from the ceiling?

Yes, that is his main store room.  He makes his own salami, cheeses, olive oil (which is exceptional) honey and jams.

Its an agro tourismo so he gets big tax breaks if he produces a certain percentage of food he serves to his guests.  That is one of the reasons I love staying at those things.

Also, you should take in the cooking class with his mother - Mumma Maria - it truly is a once in life time experience.  If you book it they bring in a woman from (I think Chicago) who has lived in the area for 20 years to translate for you.  Experiencing cooking with a real Italian Grandmother is not something to be missed and they have a great kitchen to do it in.

In the evenings, even if you dont take the cooking class, she will prepare dinner, along with the staff, for all the guests and the meal is eaten on the veranda in one of the pictures.  Dinner starts around 9 and lasts till 1 or 2 am.  That in and of itself is worth the visit.

I knew we had the right spot the first time we were there when I saw that the majority of guests were people from Rome coming up for their holiday.

I see from his website that he has become a better marketer so you may enounter more N. Americans now but still its a great place and very close to Assisi.  From there you can easily get to pretty much anywhere in Italy.