Main Menu

Quitting sugar

Started by DGuller, March 06, 2010, 03:31:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: Martinus on March 07, 2010, 12:19:16 PM
Quote from: Maximus on March 07, 2010, 11:52:45 AM
Quote from: Brazen on March 07, 2010, 10:55:29 AM
The problem isn't the obvious sugar in sweet stuff, which we all need for the odd energy boost, it's the hidden stuff in savoury foods. I couldn't eat a load of stuff in the US as it just tasted so sweet with added corn syrup. Sweet steaks? No thanks.
Americans love putting sugar on meat. I haven't figured it out yet either.

WTF

It sounds crazy, but the other day I had a filet mignon that had shoots of frosting inserted after it was cooked and was covered in a light frosting. Absolutely delicious--it was like a combination cake and steak with the best qualities from each. You really have to try it to understand that it works.

I've also had a hot dog prepared in a similar manner, but that wasn't nearly as good.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

Quote from: Martinus on March 07, 2010, 10:29:13 AM
Quote from: DGuller on March 06, 2010, 03:31:21 PM
For a long time, I though that there is no such thing as bad food that's responsible for obesity.

Seriously? Wow.  :huh:

It isn't necessarily that crazy to believe that if you consume more calories than you burn, you gain weight, and the method of consumption isn't that important.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

crazy canuck

Quote from: merithyn on March 07, 2010, 01:08:19 PM
Quote from: Martinus on March 07, 2010, 12:34:53 PM
yeah but you got the sufficient sugar intake from veggies (especially potatoes) you eat with the meat. No need to add extra sugar (especially something as deadly as fructose corn syrup) to it as well.

Deadly? Um.. it's just another form of sugar, and no more deadly than molasses or honey.

As stated by the Mayo Clinic of Minnesota

Your link doesnt say that.....

Your link says the research is conflicting and that newer studies (some of which funded by the industry itself) suggests it is the same but the jury is still out.  The article then goes on to suggest ways to avoid foods with high-fructose corn syrop and other sweeteners.  also, the article does not mention molasses or honey.  It simply refers to "other sweetners" which may be other artificial sweeteners. The article does not make that clear.

There is a big debate about whether manufactured food is detrimental to health and you certainly cannot use your link to suggest the mayo clinic thinks its ok.

merithyn

Quote from: Caliga on March 07, 2010, 01:24:40 PM
This is the part where Marti will call you crazy, a glutton, or both. :)

I can live with that so long as I still get my pineapple & honey glazed ham and my maple syrup drenched breakfast sausage. :mmm:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 07, 2010, 02:19:53 PM

Your link says the research is conflicting and that newer studies (some of which funded by the industry itself) suggests it is the same but the jury is still out.  The article then goes on to suggest ways to avoid foods with high-fructose corn syrop and other sweeteners.  also, the article does not mention molasses or honey.  It simply refers to "other sweetners" which may be other artificial sweeteners. The article does not make that clear.

There is a big debate about whether manufactured food is detrimental to health and you certainly cannot use your link to suggest the mayo clinic thinks its ok.

It certainly doesn't call it "deadly", which is the term that Marti used.

The Brain

:pinch: Did someone cite the Mayo clinic? Yeah they don't have a horse in the fattening food race at all. No Sir.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

merithyn

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

merithyn

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 07, 2010, 02:19:53 PM

Having looked into it a bit further, I stand corrected. HFCS is NOT like other sugars, in that it is considerably higher in fructose than other sugars, which is quite a big deal. My apologies for stating otherwise, however, I maintain that it is not "deadly", as Marti stated.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 07, 2010, 02:35:50 PM
Quote from: merithyn on March 07, 2010, 02:34:08 PM
:huh:

MAYOnnaise...
More to the point, the more fatsos with blood pressure through the roof that that have heart attacks, the bigger their business.  Bastards.
PDH!

Caliga

If high fructose corn syrup was actually deadly, the US would have a population of like 25 people, all of whom would be crazy food conspiracy types.  :blush:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Fate

Go on Marti, please explain your conspiracy theory on why five carbon sugars are deadly but six carbon sugars are good.  :rolleyes:

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on March 07, 2010, 02:45:08 PM
More to the point, the more fatsos with blood pressure through the roof that that have heart attacks, the bigger their business.  Bastards.

Oh, I didn't think Brain was making a serious point.  :blush:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 07, 2010, 03:04:30 PM

:grr:

:Embarrass:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 07, 2010, 03:04:30 PM

You hurt his feelings. Poor man is probably in an emotional death spiral now.  :cry:
PDH!