South Koreans let kid starve while raising virtual kid online

Started by Syt, March 05, 2010, 11:35:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Hot off the EUOT press:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8551122.stm

QuoteS Korea child 'starves as parents raise virtual baby'

A South Korean couple who were addicted to the internet let their three-month-old baby starve to death while raising a virtual daughter online, police said.

The pair fed their own premature baby just once a day in between 12-hour stretches at an internet cafe, the official Yonhap news agency reported.

Police officer Chung Jin-won told Yonhap they "lost their will to live a normal life" after losing their jobs.

He said they "indulged themselves online" to escape from reality.

The 41-year-old father and his 25-year-old wife were arrested in the city of Suweon, south of Seoul, earlier this week, five months after they reported the death of their baby.

An autopsy showed her death was caused by a long period of malnutrition.

The couple had become obsessed with nurturing a virtual girl called Anima in the popular role-playing game Prius Online, police said on Friday.

The game enables players to interact with Anima and as they do so, help her to recover her lost memory and develop emotions.

Those Koreans sure take their online games seriously.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Syt

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 05, 2010, 11:37:04 AM
Pokemans are hard work.

So how do we know your kids actually exist and your child bride, mansion, kids etc. aren't just a Sims2 fantasy?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

DGuller

Very sad.  Who's going to take care of the virtual kid now?  :(

Ed Anger

Quote from: Syt on March 05, 2010, 11:38:24 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on March 05, 2010, 11:37:04 AM
Pokemans are hard work.

So how do we know your kids actually exist and your child bride, mansion, kids etc. aren't just a Sims2 fantasy?

Because I would have killed them off in a toilet hedge maze by now.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Eddie Teach

Quote from: DGuller on March 05, 2010, 11:39:11 AM
Very sad.  Who's going to take care of the virtual kid now?  :(

Maybe there's a virtual child services office. :unsure:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Warspite

" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Caliga

Hilarious... here at work we were just talking about that dude who played WoW straight until he dropped dead at a Korean Internet cafe.  :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Viking

Just last week the night staff at a home for the elderly just down the road let one of the residents freeze to death while they were on facebooking.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.