Libya's Gaddafi calls for Holy War against Switzerland

Started by Syt, February 25, 2010, 11:08:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

BBC: Libya's Gaddafi urges 'holy war' against Switzerland

QuoteLibya's Muammar Gaddafi has called for a jihad, or holy war, against Switzerland, as an ongoing diplomatic row between the two nations heats up.

He criticised a recent Swiss vote against the building of minarets and said Muslims must boycott the country.

There have been tensions between the nations since 2008, when one of Mr Gaddafi's sons was arrested in Geneva, accused of assaulting two servants.

A Swiss foreign ministry spokesman declined to comment on the jihad call.

The Libyan leader made his comments while speaking at a meeting to mark the birthday of the Prophet Muhammad.

"Let us wage jihad against Switzerland, Zionism and foreign aggression," he said.

"Any Muslim in any part of the world who works with Switzerland is an apostate, is against Muhammad, God and the Koran."

In a referendum last November, 57.5% of Swiss voters approved a constitutional ban on the building of minarets. An appeal against the ban has been submitted to the European Court of Human Rights.

Charges dropped

Earlier this month, Libya stopped issuing visas to citizens from many European nations, prompting condemnation from the European Commission.
Hannibal Gaddafi (2005)
Hannibal Gaddafi's arrest in 2008 sparked the diplomatic spat

Libya's move came after Switzerland allegedly blacklisted 188 high-ranking Libyans, denying them entry permits. The Swiss ban is said to include Mr Gaddafi and his family.

The row began after the arrest of Mr Gaddafi's son Hannibal and his wife, Aline Skaf, in Geneva in July 2008.

They were accused of assaulting two servants while staying at a luxury hotel in the Swiss city, though the charges were later dropped.

Libya retaliated by cancelling oil supplies, withdrawing billions of dollars from Swiss banks, refusing visas to Swiss citizens and recalling some of its diplomats.

In the same month that the Gaddafis were arrested, Libyan authorities detained two Swiss businessmen, in what analysts believe was a retaliatory move.

One was finally allowed to leave the country earlier this week but the second was transferred to jail, where he faces a four-month term on immigration offences.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Scipio

Wow.  I bet the Swiss are glad that they caved on that embassy thing.  Sucks to be neutral when you're not in the stealing money from helpless Jews business anymore.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Martinus

LOL Gaddafi, He Whose Name is Spelled The Thousand Ways.

Richard Hakluyt

Martinus

I think it's precious that he also included Zionism in his Jihad call.

Though, I guess, you could argue that Switzerland is a country sitting on a pile of Jewish gold...

DisturbedPervert

He criticised a recent Swiss vote against the building of minarets and said Muslims must boycott the country.

Can muslims please boycott the United States too?

Queequeg

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on February 26, 2010, 03:14:10 AM

FUCK YOU.  I have enough problems trying to find good Falafel as it is. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Sheilbh

I once worked at a bar frequented by one of Gaddafi's nephews, he used to tip very well.  One night he got into a fight with a Bristol Rovers football player.  I was going to get a bouncer but someone ran quicker so I just watched.  An orange woman screamed 'GADDAFI NOOOOO!' (Where have you been for the last forty years, I thought).  Then someone threw a glass at the orange woman and she shut up.  Gaddafi's shirt was ripped open and his multi-diamond watch broken off his wrist.  The bouncer kicked him out and I gave him his watch back when he next came in.  After the fight he never tipped again.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

The article forgets that in Gaddafi's UNGA tour-de-force performance he also announced a Libyan sponsored resolution calling for the abolition of Switzerland. 

I love that Switzerland is first on the list of things to Jihad beating out traditional favourites Zionism and 'foreign aggression' :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

citizen k

I've been calling for jihad against Switzerland ever since Hamilcar said victims of tornados, "had it coming."

jimmy olsen

Pffttt...as if Lybia could possibly defeat the Swiss and their revolutionary new tanks.

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Scipio

Quote from: Queequeg on February 26, 2010, 04:13:04 AM
Quote from: DisturbedPervert on February 26, 2010, 03:14:10 AM

FUCK YOU.  I have enough problems trying to find good Falafel as it is.
That's because there's no such thing as good falafel.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Martinus

Quote from: citizen k on February 26, 2010, 09:47:06 PM
I've been calling for jihad against Switzerland ever since Hamilcar said victims of tornados, "had it coming."

Well, he was right. People who choose to live in natural-disaster-prone areas, especially when they do not buy an insurance policy, do not deserve to be helped with money from the taxes of people who either do not take the risk or hedged that risk by buying a policy. That kind of system, where benefits of risk taking are consumed by a risk taker - e.g. in the form of cheaper property in hurricane-infested area - but costs of risk taking are being socialized and shared by all players (like aid to people who did not buy a policy and now are homeless) is both immoral and provides wrong incentives. It is no different than bailout of risk-taking banks by the tax payer - only people get more teary eyed about idiots who build their house in a hurricane country and then get it blown to pieces, than Wall Street fat cats.

citizen k

Quote from: Martinus on February 27, 2010, 03:51:41 AM
Quote from: citizen k on February 26, 2010, 09:47:06 PM

Well, he was right. People who choose to live in natural-disaster-prone areas, especially when they do not buy an insurance policy, do not deserve to be helped with money from the taxes of people who either do not take the risk or hedged that risk by buying a policy. That kind of system, where benefits of risk taking are consumed by a risk taker - e.g. in the form of cheaper property in hurricane-infested area - but costs of risk taking are being socialized and shared by all players (like aid to people who did not buy a policy and now are homeless) is both immoral and provides wrong incentives. It is no different than bailout of risk-taking banks by the tax payer - only people get more teary eyed about idiots who build their house in a hurricane country and then get it blown to pieces, than Wall Street fat cats.

And for the people with homeowner's insurance? Which is just about all homeowners.