8 Year old suspended for bringing toy gun to school

Started by sbr, February 24, 2010, 10:02:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Martim Silva on February 25, 2010, 09:05:08 AM
In Portugal, any teacher/school employee who would do something similar would be considered a lunatic and, at the very least, suspended fom his/her job.

But it's America. Hope the kid is enjoying his freedom.
It's a cultural difference.  Every country is going to have its, well, less-than-stellar citizens.  In US those tend to become public school educators, in Portugal they become Internet forum posters.

PDH

Quote from: DGuller on February 25, 2010, 10:52:37 AM
It's a cultural difference.  Every country is going to have its, well, less-than-stellar citizens.  In US those tend to become public school educators, in Portugal they become Internet forum posters.
Wow, Tim and Martim in one post - good show.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

sbr

Quote from: Zanza on February 25, 2010, 09:14:21 AM
So you guys can legally own assault rifles, openly carry weapons in some states, but bringing a 4 inch toy gun to school will get you suspended. Hmm.

Our hypocrisy knows no bounds.

KRonn

Zero tolerance policy, just like with drugs and medications which applies to kids bringing their own aspirin, tylenol, etc. Easier I guess for schools to not allow any kind of medication, probably except with a doctor permission or something, than try and have the school admins/teachers make the decision and have some mishap, like a student giving a med to someone with an allergy or something. Same for guns. I can't say I agree with such zero tolerance as it just goes too far, but I think some of this is why the schools do it. Avoids litigation and hassle, problems.

C.C.R.

Quote from: Zanza on February 25, 2010, 09:14:21 AM
So you guys can legally own assault rifles, openly carry weapons in some states, but bringing a 4 inch toy gun to school will get you suspended. Hmm.

It boggles my mind, too, but that's about the size of it.  If I had to rationalize it I would say that Portland, Oregon (where this takes place) is full of hippie tree-huggers that think OMG TEH GUNS IS BAD, essentially the polar opposite mindset of the Idaho militia I NEEDS DA GUNZ TO FIGHT DA GUVMINT set.

In the end, all Americans are fucking insane in some form or fashion, but to label all Americans as having each & every eccentricity, while obviously fun for scoring internet points, really isn't all that realistic...

DontSayBanana

Quote from: C.C.R. on February 25, 2010, 05:42:43 PM
It boggles my mind, too, but that's about the size of it.  If I had to rationalize it I would say that Portland, Oregon (where this takes place) is full of hippie tree-huggers that think OMG TEH GUNS IS BAD, essentially the polar opposite mindset of the Idaho militia I NEEDS DA GUNZ TO FIGHT DA GUVMINT set.

In the end, all Americans are fucking insane in some form or fashion, but to label all Americans as having each & every eccentricity, while obviously fun for scoring internet points, really isn't all that realistic...

Neither is attacking Poles that way, but that's never stopped us before... :contract:
Experience bij!

C.C.R.

I just wanted to go on record as calling Oregonians "hippie tree-huggers"

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: C.C.R. on February 25, 2010, 05:59:07 PM
In Ecotopia the hippies go on the offensive and slaughter the squares. :(
PDH!

grumbler

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on February 25, 2010, 09:15:48 PM
Quote from: C.C.R. on February 25, 2010, 05:59:07 PM
In Ecotopia the hippies go on the offensive and slaughter the squares. :(
I saw that movie!  Good special effects, but a disappointing plot.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!