And we're back!

Main Menu

Google bosses convicted in Italy

Started by sbr, February 24, 2010, 01:49:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iormlund

Quote from: Martinus on February 24, 2010, 05:06:57 PM
Quote from: Iormlund on February 24, 2010, 04:01:34 PM
Nopes. Both were hosting content deemed bad, without the knowledge or permission of the principal actors involved. Well, most P2P sites don't even do that. They merely point at it.
The "it's impossible to screen all content" argument is equally suitable for both.

"Content deemed bad" is not a legal term. P2P sites are about protection of intellectual property, not "content deemed bad".

You would have a better luck comparing this to China - both China and Italy seem to have retarded laws that do not allow people to post content that does not infringe IP rights of other people, but that the government "deems bad". Anyone who praises google for standing up to China but damns them for this, is an idiot and a hypocrite.

It is a legal term after a judge decides it is. Which is exactly what happened here.

grumbler

Quote from: Iormlund on February 24, 2010, 06:31:25 PM
It is a legal term after a judge decides it is. Which is exactly what happened here.
Actually, it isn't exactly what happened here at all, but you knew that.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Martinus on February 24, 2010, 05:06:57 PM
Quote from: Iormlund on February 24, 2010, 04:01:34 PM
Nopes. Both were hosting content deemed bad, without the knowledge or permission of the principal actors involved. Well, most P2P sites don't even do that. They merely point at it.
The "it's impossible to screen all content" argument is equally suitable for both.

"Content deemed bad" is not a legal term. P2P sites are about protection of intellectual property, not "content deemed bad".

You would have a better luck comparing this to China - both China and Italy seem to have retarded laws that do not allow people to post content that does not infringe IP rights of other people, but that the government "deems bad". Anyone who praises google for standing up to China but damns them for this, is an idiot and a hypocrite.
The Fighting Polack comes out swinging! 
PDH!

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Is 'cockjuggling faggot' a legal term?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

grumbler

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on February 24, 2010, 10:08:21 PM
Quote from: Neil on February 24, 2010, 09:37:30 PM
Is 'cockjuggling faggot' a legal term?
Only in Texas.
I thought it was a requirement for elected office in Texas.  Though I concede that it may not be a legal requirement.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 24, 2010, 05:56:25 PM
Someone asked me the other day about European countries I would live in (assuming the means etc).  I named some countries but pointedly left Italy off the list.  This story is a trivial but useful illustration why - the political culture of the country is just broken on a fundamental level.  Italy is a lovely place to visit, but I would never want to subject myself to its jurisdiction for any significant length of time if I could avoid it.

Tell that one to American students convicted of murder.

Pedrito

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 24, 2010, 02:29:32 PM
I think its fair to say that Italians shouldn't be allowed to use the interwebs.
Hey!  :mad:

On topic: a stupid ruling by an italian court is normal practice, sadly. [troll]just ask Berlusconi about italian justice[/troll]  :P

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot: