Obama to Propose New Reading and Math Standards

Started by jimmy olsen, February 22, 2010, 12:57:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Let's just say I'm dubious on how effective this will be.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/22/education/22educ.html
QuoteObama to Propose New Reading and Math Standards

By SAM DILLON
Published: February 21, 2010

WASHINGTON — In a proposed change to the No Child Left Behind law, the Obama administration would require states to adopt new academic standards to qualify for federal money from a $14 billion program that concentrates on impoverished students, the White House said Sunday.

The proposal, part of the administration's recommendations for a Congressional overhaul of the law, would require states to adopt "college- and career-ready standards" in reading and mathematics.

The current law, signed by President George W. Bush in 2002, requires states to adopt "challenging academic standards" in reading and math to receive federal money for poor students under the program known as Title I, but leaves it up to states to decide what qualifies as "challenging."

The result was that states set their standards at widely varied levels, some as rigorous as those used in high-performing countries like Japan, but others at far lower levels that lay out at best, mediocre expectations for their students.

"Because economic progress and educational achievement go hand in hand, educating every American student to graduate prepared for college and success in a new work force is a national imperative," the White House said in a statement. "Meeting this challenge requires that state standards reflect a level of teaching and learning needed for students to graduate ready for success in college and careers."

President Obama was scheduled to announce the proposal in a meeting on Monday with governors who are gathered in Washington for the annual winter meeting of the National Governors Association.

Since last year, 48 states have been collaborating to write common standards in math and reading, coordinated by the governors' group and with the encouragement of the White House. Texas and Alaska decided not to participate in that state-led effort.

The common-standards effort has produced a draft, and earlier this month Kentucky became the first state to approve the substitution of the new standards for the state's own standards in the two subjects.

How successful or quickly the governors, legislatures, state boards of education and other authorities in other states will be in agreeing on adoption of the new standards is not clear.

"In better aligning the law to support college- and career-ready standards," the White House statement said, its proposed rewrite of the No Child Left Behind law would "require all states to adopt and certify that they have college- and career-ready standards which may include common standards developed by a state-led consortium, as a condition of qualifying for Title I funding."

The four Democratic and Republican leaders of the House education committee announced last week that they were working together on the latest overhaul of the law.

In its 2011 budget request earlier this month, the White House said it hoped to replace the law's much-criticized school rating system, known as adequate yearly progress, with a new accountability system.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

sbr

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 22, 2010, 12:57:33 AM

Of course you are.  Is there anything he could do that you wouldn't be dubious of?   :rolleyes:

Is was a shitty law from the start; god forbid he does anything to change that.

katmai

Quote from: sbr on February 22, 2010, 01:08:09 AM

Of course you are.  Is there anything he could do that you wouldn't be dubious of?   :rolleyes:

C'mon timmay just think how much better your spelling might have been if this had been active!
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

jimmy olsen

Quote from: sbr on February 22, 2010, 01:08:09 AM

He should just get rid of the law, it's crap.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tamas

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Neil

A waste of time.  He should be federalizing education.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on February 22, 2010, 08:58:14 AM

Indeed.  Why we leave education in the hands of the least competent public officials is beyond me.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Agelastus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 22, 2010, 01:15:46 AM
He should just get rid of the law, it's crap.

And yet it actually seems to be a law and goal that both Republicans and Democrats can co-operate on, which, if I believed everything I'd heard over the last year or so, I should consider to be impossible.

I have no personal aquaintance with this law, but what's the problem with attempting to set a minimum expected level of achievement for the average pupil?
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Razgovory on February 22, 2010, 09:21:16 AM

Indeed.  Why we leave education in the hands of the least competent public officials is beyond me.

We don't. They aren't federalized yet.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Caliga

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 22, 2010, 01:09:56 PM
:lol:

I think Raz was eluding to the horrific nightmare that is the local school board.... if so, he's correct to generally label them "[in]competent".
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on February 22, 2010, 09:21:16 AM

:mad:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Scipio

Quote from: Caliga on February 22, 2010, 01:28:25 PM
:lol:

I think Raz was eluding to the horrific nightmare that is the local school board.... if so, he's correct to generally label them "[in]competent".
I hope he was alluding.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

frunk

Today, still wanted by the schoolboard. he survives by hiding in a basement.  If you have a problem...if no one else can help...and if you can find him...maybe you can hire...Raz.

Sheilbh

Arne Duncan's been doing some interesting things with funding so far.  Don't know enough about this though.
Let's bomb Russia!