News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Republican Candidates for the 2012 Nomination

Started by stjaba, February 10, 2010, 08:53:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 11, 2010, 10:43:50 PM
I'd bet on him and back him in the primary at this point.  If I'm arsed enough to even go to another caucus that doesn't mean diddly.
Romney has the same problem as his dad.  No-one's entirely convinced he's human.

They're both so airbrushed into a perfect candidate that they've airbrushed the man out of existence.  George Romney was campaigning in Pennsylvania and he stopped for a press call at a bowling alley.  He bowled and got a split.  He then bowled 34 more times until he knocked those pins down for the journos.  That's not human.

Similarly Mitt described a 'typical' family holiday in which he put the dogs into a travel cage (normal so far) and strapped them to the top of the car (WHAT THE FUCK!) which he was driving across country (:o :bleeding: :RSPCA:).  That man will never win until he develops normal, human flaws and stops being cruel to animals.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on February 11, 2010, 02:17:40 PM
He's got his show on Fox, which sells himself to conservatives as a kinder, gentler republican (and doesn't antagonize the center, like Palin is doing).  He has the national media profile that few others have right now.  And he has a definite charisma in giving a speech.

I don't think I want him to be President (his economics were awfully to the left), but don't count him out.
His economics weren't awfully to the left they were a microscopic distance away from the Norquist-wankzone that's all.  I generally agree though that he is a kinder, gentler Republican (I don't think it's a sell) and he's charm - though nowhere near as much as Palin.  If I had the slightest inclination in her direction I'd be her biggest cheerleader.  The Tea Party speech was a triumph.
Let's bomb Russia!

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Barrister on February 12, 2010, 01:13:29 AM

As in at this stage, as a foreigner of the conservative persuasion, he's the guy I would want to win.

Depending on which order they run those primary schedules, he'd have the easiest time winning the nom, I think. Well, with what we know now. If the orange states come before the yellow and green(which they will), I'd say he'll gain too much momentum to be stopped. If green comes before yellow he wins easy.

I am assuming Palin isn't running.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

katmai

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 12, 2010, 09:46:34 PM

:lol:

You really are Mad, don't know about the Immortal part though.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: katmai on February 12, 2010, 09:48:57 PM

She's quit as your Governor because of the heat/scrutiny, and you think she's gonna run for President? Maybe I'm just optimistic.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Sheilbh

Quote from: Caliga on February 11, 2010, 04:02:21 PMHe's an interesting fellow, but he needs an image makeover. 
I think he needs to go to Maggie Thatcher's speech coach and work on his voice.  I can't see any self-respecting nation electing a man with a voice that high pitched/nasally-whiney.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 12, 2010, 09:50:43 PM
She's quit as your Governor because of the heat/scrutiny, and you think she's gonna run for President? Maybe I'm just optimistic.  :P
I watched her tea party speech.  I would be amazed if she didn't run after that, it was a campaigning, stumping speech.
Let's bomb Russia!

katmai

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 12, 2010, 09:50:43 PM
Quote from: katmai on February 12, 2010, 09:48:57 PM

Oh i think she's silly enough to throw hat in ring. Though i doubt she could get elected Governor again with her last 12 months in office.

DisturbedPervert

Don't understand why so many on the left seem to like Huckabee.  Sometimes I think it's a trick to get Republicans to nominate him so they'll be annihilated in the election. 

DGuller

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 12, 2010, 09:26:33 PM
Quote from: Barrister on February 11, 2010, 02:17:40 PM
He's got his show on Fox, which sells himself to conservatives as a kinder, gentler republican (and doesn't antagonize the center, like Palin is doing).  He has the national media profile that few others have right now.  And he has a definite charisma in giving a speech.

I don't think I want him to be President (his economics were awfully to the left), but don't count him out.
His economics weren't awfully to the left they were a microscopic distance away from the Norquist-wankzone that's all.  I generally agree though that he is a kinder, gentler Republican (I don't think it's a sell) and he's charm - though nowhere near as much as Palin.  If I had the slightest inclination in her direction I'd be her biggest cheerleader.  The Tea Party speech was a triumph.
No way Palin is charming, at least not in the way I meant it when I used that word.  Charming means not having half the country thinking "wow, what a dick", which is what's happening whenever Palin opens her mouth.  Huckabee has a rare trait among Republicans of being able to make his point without the other side feeling like everything they hold dear has been mocked.

DGuller

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on February 12, 2010, 09:54:48 PM
Don't understand why so many on the left seem to like Huckabee.  Sometimes I think it's a trick to get Republicans to nominate him so they'll be annihilated in the election.
They like him for his manners, not for his politics.

Sheilbh

I love his charm and his rhetoric and I think a slightly more economically populist, socially conservative, hawkish ideology - such as Huck's - is pretty coherent and attractive.

I like him more as time goes on.  I think he's a terribly attractive candidate.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Indeed. This whole thread is terrifying me.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

katmai

Quote from: garbon on February 12, 2010, 10:36:56 PM

Indeed. This whole thread is terrifying me.

Katmai's post censored by TBR sanctity.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.