News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Olympic Excitement

Started by Jacob, February 05, 2010, 02:48:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

You know what, people like to bash on Fox for the glowing puck, but I didn't see the problem with it.  If anything it was a just ahead of it's time.  Putting all kinds of lines and graphics on a football field is now commonplace.

Fox was trying to sell a game to Americans that many were unfamiliar with.  People who are new to the game have a hard time following the puck.  So make the puck easier to see.

Frankly, the anti-glowing-puck was just another way for Canadians to act snobby towards Americans over "our" game.  And while there are times you are justified in gloating, that wasn't one of them.  After all, where is hockey on US tv these days?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

I think I am the only true Canadian left.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 01, 2010, 03:21:46 PM
As with any sport the very best make it look really easy but they can only do it that way because of the countless hours of practice they have spent perfecting their skills.
So true.
Watching Jennifer Heil and Alexandre Bilodeau, you'd swear freestyle skiing is simple and easy.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Barrister on March 01, 2010, 03:48:50 PM

Frankly, the anti-glowing-puck was just another way for Canadians to act snobby towards Americans over "our" game.  And while there are times you are justified in gloating, that wasn't one of them.  After all, where is hockey on US tv these days?

The Versus network  :glare: and NBC.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Barrister

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on March 01, 2010, 03:55:24 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 01, 2010, 03:49:44 PM
I think I am the only true Canadian left.

:rolleyes:

Is that what happens to your eyes when you follow the Fox glowing puck too long?

Jacob

Quote from: DGuller on March 01, 2010, 02:23:03 PMThank you, and by thank you I mean fuck you.

Oh don't thank me, the pleasure is all mine :hug:

Maximus

This was the first time I'd seen curling, and I loved it. Most sports have strategy but the fact that the strategy is discussed on the ice by the players is what made it for me. Like chess- but with teamwork and a great deal of physical skill. For the first time in my life I've considered getting into a sport.

Barrister

Quote from: Maximus on March 01, 2010, 04:15:21 PM
This was the first time I'd seen curling, and I loved it. Most sports have strategy but the fact that the strategy is discussed on the ice by the players is what made it for me. Like chess- but with teamwork and a great deal of physical skill. For the first time in my life I've considered getting into a sport.

How could you grow up in the peace country and never seen curling? :blink:  Don't they teach it in school?

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Maximus

Quote from: Barrister on March 01, 2010, 04:18:07 PM
How could you grow up in the peace country and never seen curling? :blink:  Don't they teach it in school?
Mennonite school--no sports--so no. And I practically never watched TV before I moved down here.

Barrister

Just in case anyone wants to start curling...

There isn't as much strategy when you start out, unfortunately.  When you're struggling to be able to throw a rock and have it remain in play, you can't get as worried about the exact position a rock is going to wind up in.

Think of it like pitching.  I understand there can be quite an art in baseball to different pitches, working the edges of the strikezone, etc.  But when you start out you are struggling to just make sure the pitch crosses the plate.

Not to say there isn't strategy in beginners curling, but it's nothing like the chess-like precision Kevin Martin can pull off.

But go for it Berkut!  You can't beat free, after all.

Barrister

Quote from: Maximus on March 01, 2010, 04:24:00 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 01, 2010, 04:18:07 PM
Mennonite school--no sports--so no. And I practically never watched TV before I moved down here.

There are no sports at mennonite schools?  Huh - didn't know that.

Malthus

There is no doubt that the Olympics raised awareness concerning this sport. Lots of people watched it who otherwise would not have.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on March 01, 2010, 04:53:46 PM

There is no doubt that the Olympics raised awareness concerning this sport. Lots of people watched it who otherwise would not have.

I curled before it was cool.   :cool: