Iran launches a space program

Started by Caliga, February 03, 2010, 06:32:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Ground control to Major Khan?  :(

QuoteIran Says It Sent Animals Into Space
By ALAN COWELL
Published: February 3, 2010

PARIS — In what seemed designed as a display of advancing missile technology, Iran said on Wednesday that it had test-fired a rocket into space carrying living organisms — a rat, two turtles and worms, according to the official Press TV broadcaster.

The launch of what was described as a Kavoshgar-3 missile, capable of carrying satellites, came as the Tehran regime is facing a series of challenges.

Iran is preparing to celebrate the 31st anniversary of the Islamic revolution in 1979; it is locked in dispute with the United States and other powers over its nuclear program; and its leaders are facing the worst political crisis since the revolution following last June's flawed presidential elections.

Iran's missile program has prompted worries among Western analysts that it is working on a weapons delivery system with broad regional consequences. In December, Iran said it test-fired an improved version of its most advanced missile, the Sejil-2, capable of reaching Israel and parts of Europe.

The latest launch came days after officials in Washington said the Obama administration is accelerating the deployment of new defenses against possible Iranian missile attacks in the Persian Gulf, placing special ships off the Iranian coast and antimissile systems in at least four Arab countries.

Press TV said Wednesday that the Kavoshgar, or Explorer, missile was the third of its type to be launched space since February 2008, and was carrying an experimental capsule to transfer telemetric data, live pictures and other information to Earth. A second Kavoshgar was launched in November 2008, Press TV said. The model launched on Wednesday was described as an updated version of the earlier rockets.

The Iranian Aerospace Organization said: "Live video transmission and the mini-environmental lab will enable further studies on the biological capsule — carrying a rat, two turtles and worms — as it leaves Earth's atmosphere and enters space," Press TV said.

Defense Minister Ahmad Vahidi said the space program was specifically for peaceful purposes and Iran would not tolerate "any unpeaceful use of space by any country," the official IRNA news agency said.

State television broadcast images of the launch and showed officials putting what looked like living organisms inside a capsule placed in the rocket, news reports said.

Earlier, Iranian state media said Iran would unveil another satellite carrier, called Simorgh, and three new satellites.

After months of unsuccessful diplomatic overtures, the Obama administration is seeking broad international support for sanctions against the Iranian Revolutionary Guards Corps, which Western nations say control a covert nuclear arms program. Tehran says its nuclear program is for peaceful purposes only.

President Obama spoke of the shift in his State of the Union address, warning of "consequences" if Iran continued to defy United Nations demands to stop manufacturing nuclear fuel. Last Friday, Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton publicly warned China that its opposition to sanctions against Iran was shortsighted.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Tamas

They will reform from within, no blood for security!

Caliga

I kinda like the idea of space jihadists actually.  :cool:

Neil

So Iran will actually be technologically superior to the United States?  :lol:
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Crazy_Ivan80

soon suicidebomber from space....
We need to lock down space for the inferiour cultures. The galaxy belongs to the west

Grallon

The day when a western city goes up in flame approaches.  I wonder if it'll be Tel-Aviv or something in Europe?  ^_^

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Caliga

Quote from: Grallon on February 03, 2010, 08:35:13 AM
The day when a western city goes up in flame approaches.  I wonder if it's be Tel-Aviv or something in Europe?  ^_^
Tel Aviv for sure.  :)

Neil

The day when a western city goes up in flame approaches.  I wonder if it's be Tel-Aviv or something in Europe?  ^_^
I would imagine Tel Aviv.  And although Europe might deserve to have a city destroyed by atomics in retribution for them turning cowardice and naivete into virtues, the United States bears a large portion of the blame here as well.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Grallon

Democracy breeds indolence and complacency.  <_<

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Fireblade

Quote from: Caliga on February 03, 2010, 06:37:21 AM
I kinda like the idea of space jihadists actually.  :cool:

The Intergalactic Caliphate :)

Grallon

~Jean-François Revel

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Grallon on February 03, 2010, 09:16:02 AM
Quote from: Fireblade on February 03, 2010, 09:07:39 AM

The Intergalactic Caliphate :)

The Bene Tleilax :bleeding:

G.

I've got it!  Obama's the product of the Bene Gesserit breeding program! :contract:
Experience bij!

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on February 03, 2010, 06:32:20 AM

PARIS — In what seemed designed as a display of advancing missile technology, Iran said on Wednesday that it had test-fired a rocket into space carrying living organisms — a rat, two turtles and worms, according to the official Press TV broadcaster.

It is a bit embarrassing that the only citizens of Iran who passed the Astronaut requirements are a rat, two turtles and a mass of worms.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DisturbedPervert

Only one rocket?  I thought their Photoshop program was more advanced than that by now.

Savonarola

Quote from: Caliga on February 03, 2010, 08:42:54 AM
Tel Aviv for sure.  :)

It could be London; they seem to hate the British a great deal.  :bowler:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock