The first really good Hitchens article in a while (North Korea is the subject)

Started by alfred russel, February 02, 2010, 10:43:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 03, 2010, 09:10:44 AM
Quote from: Martinus on February 03, 2010, 02:57:26 AM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 02, 2010, 08:52:37 PM
There's got to be thousands of Korean girls with a white boy fetish. Try harder.  :lol:

How's that going to help Tim, seeing how he is not white?  :huh:
Oh? What am I then? African, Asian, Native American or a Pacific Islander? :rolleyes:
Latino
██████
██████
██████

jimmy olsen

Nope, sorry G.

Latino/Hispanic is an ethnocultural term not a racial one. There are White Latinos, Black Latinos and Native American Latinos.

Hmm...if a Spanish speaking South American of Japanese descent moved to the US I wonder what they would put down on their census form?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

There's got to be thousands of Korean girls with a white boy fetish. Try harder.  :lol:
Tim is Mexican, not white.  There are no girls who like Mexican boys.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

derspiess

Quote from: Martinus on February 03, 2010, 02:48:56 AM
What I find funny is how Westerns often get totally surprised and shocked by the fact that various "communist" totalitarianisms freely employ racism, xenophobia and antisemitism to further their goals. I mean, the same happened in Poland in 1950-1960s.

Leftist Westerners or Westerners in general?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on February 03, 2010, 09:14:00 AM
Quote from: Tyr on February 03, 2010, 08:31:17 AM
In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king.

Asians have slanty eyes but they can still see.  Just not at night.   :rolleyes:

Then Tim should strike at night!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tamas

He ain't exactly white, you know

Lettow77

North Korea terrifies me. I am primarily worried on Japan's behalf- but the conscription and economic collapse that might entail Japan being nuked doesn't reassure me either.

I do not take it for granted North Korea's government will act rationally, nor do I take it for granted America could win that war as it stands right now.

I wish North Korea was our #1 foreign policy ussue.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

CountDeMoney

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 02, 2010, 07:37:05 PMStill, there is a lot of ignorance (not malicious I think, just flat out ignorance) here about other peoples and races.

Then the flat ignorance is on you, Round Eye.  Asians are the most racist peoples out there, from China to Japan to South Korea. They put European ant-semitism and anti-brown-pipplesism to shame.

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 04, 2010, 05:45:13 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 02, 2010, 07:37:05 PMStill, there is a lot of ignorance (not malicious I think, just flat out ignorance) here about other peoples and races.
Then the flat ignorance is on you, Round Eye.  Asians are the most racist peoples out there, from China to Japan to South Korea. They put European ant-semitism and anti-brown-pipplesism to shame.
Yeah, but Asian racism is alright, because it's done in the right way.  Many of them acknowledge the superiority of the white man (although inevitably they consider their own group to be equal to the whites), and they virulently hate all other types of Asian, as well as everybody else.  Unfortunately for Tim, he's part of 'everybody else'.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Berkut

Quote from: Martinus on February 03, 2010, 02:53:51 AM
Quote from: Berkut on February 02, 2010, 11:56:29 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 02, 2010, 11:41:26 AM
Quote from: Berkut on February 02, 2010, 11:33:50 AM
I think he means that having to deal with this horror show is in our future.

I guess you are right, but I suspect that South Korea will be dealing with it most.  Just like Germany dealt with it's commie portion after the wall fell.

To that extent, I think you are missingthe point of his article, which is that looking at North Korea as a "last gasp holdout" of traditional Communism (like East Germany) is not really understanding the problem.

They are not Communists, really, and probably never really were. And they are not going to fall over like the Communist regimes all fell, eventually.

By the same token, 1945-1989 Poland wasn't communist either.

I am not making his argument, just repeating it. you will have to take it up with him.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Josquius

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 03, 2010, 09:57:58 PM
Nope, sorry G.

Latino/Hispanic is an ethnocultural term not a racial one. There are White Latinos, Black Latinos and Native American Latinos.

Hmm...if a Spanish speaking South American of Japanese descent moved to the US I wonder what they would put down on their census form?
Latino is a race. Or rather a sub-race. 'Caucasian' is the broad race. Whites are....white. Very pale northern originated folk.
The lines of course are not exact and many Spaniards, Italians, etc... are white these days but meh, the stereotype is they're all swarthy.
This has been covered in court cases before, Indians are unquestionably caucasian but according to US vs. Bhagat Singh Thind not white.
But I was just joking on, I don't give a crap.
I'd imagine your said oriental hispanic would put down Japanese though, then he wouldn't be counted amongst the hispanic menace.

QuoteAsians have slanty eyes but they can still see.  Just not at night.   :rolleyes:
I was referring to- over in the west latinos are usually not the whitest of folks. But in a country full of Koreans they're pretty darn white as far as they're concerned.
██████
██████
██████

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tyr on February 04, 2010, 10:12:08 AM
Nope, sorry G.

Latino is a race. Or rather a sub-race. 'Caucasian' is the broad race. Whites are....white. Very pale northern originated folk.
The lines of course are not exact and many Spaniards, Italians, etc... are white these days but meh, the stereotype is they're all swarthy.
This has been covered in court cases before, Indians are unquestionably caucasian but according to US vs. Bhagat Singh Thind not white.
But I was just joking on, I don't give a crap.
I'd imagine your said oriental hispanic would put down Japanese though, then he wouldn't be counted amongst the hispanic menace.

Don't be so fucking ignorant. :bleeding: The term Latino does not in any way  refer to race. It's an ethnocultural term.

http://www.census.gov/prod/2001pubs/c2kbr01-1.pdf

As to the Japanese South American, if a native Spanish speaker he should check off both Asian and Hispanic.

QuoteCensus 2000 adheres to the federal standards for collecting and presenting data on race and Hispanic origin as established by the Office of Management and Budget (OMB)
in October 1997.

The OMB defines Hispanic or Latino as "a person of Cuban, Mexican, Puerto Rican, South or Central American, or other Spanish culture or origin regardless of race."

Number of Hispanic Asians in the US in 2000 was Asian  119,829. (page 10)

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Martim Silva

What I find funny is how Westerns often get totally surprised and shocked by the fact that various "communist" totalitarianisms freely employ racism, xenophobia and antisemitism to further their goals. I mean, the same happened in Poland in 1950-1960s.

First, North Korea has changed the ideology to suit its needs - their juche doctrine is totally alien to Communism, which is about the workers of the world sharing the fruits of their labour and their wealth. The Koreans just wanted to shut everybody out.

Second, they starting handing power down from father to son - that is pretty much a Monarchy, and anathema to true Communism.

As for Poland, you know, there WAS a reason why the USSR always kept watching Warsaw from real close.

Bottom line, as long as there are people who were born in or close to an age of nationalism, nations tend to veer to their more "historical" lines, no matter the ideology. Which is why they need a big brother to watch over and see if they don't veer too much from the path. Poland had this in the form of the USSR, North Korea unfortunately did not (and Cambodia had Vietnam, who put order in the Neolithic idiocy which was Kampuchea).

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Martim Silva on February 04, 2010, 07:56:47 PM

Bottom line, as long as there are people who were born in or close to an age of nationalism, nations tend to veer to their more "historical" lines, no matter the ideology. Which is why they need a big brother to watch over and see if they don't veer too much from the path. Poland had this in the form of the USSR, North Korea unfortunately did not (and Cambodia had Vietnam, who put order in the Neolithic idiocy which was Kampuchea).
:yeahright: What?

1 Karma Chameleon point

Grinning_Colossus

Number of Hispanic Asians in the US in 2000 was Asian  119,829. (page 10)

Probably just confused Filipinos.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?