The Top 10 Conservative Movies of the Last Decade

Started by viper37, February 01, 2010, 04:53:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Top 10 conservative movies

QuoteThis is a list of the ten best films of the last decade that have advanced  a conservative message, ranging from strong support for the  military and love for country to the defence of capitalism and the free  market.
    [...]

A central theme that runs through several of my top ten picks is the  eternal conflict between good and evil, and why the forces of tyranny  and despotism must be confronted and defeated. They include films that  Barack Obama should watch as he contemplates appeasing the likes of Iran  and North Korea, or turning a blind eye to mass murder in Burma, Sudan  and Zimbabwe.
    [...]

The list:
    [list=1]
    • Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World  (Peter Weir, 2003)
    • Black Hawk Down (Ridley Scott, 2001)
    • The Lord of the Rings Trilogy (Peter Jackson, 2001,  2002, 2003)
    • Gladiator (Ridley Scott, 2000)
    • The Pursuit of Happyness (Gabriele Muccino, 2006)
    • The Dark Knight (Christopher Nolan, 2008)
    • The Hurt Locker (Kathryn Bigelow, 2009)
    • Hotel Rwanda (Terry George, 2004)
    • The Lives of Others (Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck,  2006)
    • 300 (Zack Snyder, 2007)[/l]

The explanations for each pick is given in the article.
      Some of these picks are... weird, to say the least :D
    I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josquius

How is the Dark Knight in any way conservative?
    If anything its anti-conservative; this radical man in black who doesn't obey the rule book and upsets the system in going against the authorities in the pursuit of what is right.

And Hotel Rwanda? WTF...the kind of things they're saying there is 'typical winey liberal' stuff.
    It demonstrates the incompetance and crappyness of the UN, it says that the UN should have so much more power. Which of course conservatives would cough up a lung at.

300 though....
    Brutal racist, closet homosexuals? Yeah, thats the conservatives alright.
    ██████
    ██████
    ██████

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

Yea, I really don't buy it.  The author is trying to claim that "good vs evil" is a conservative theme?  Even the movies that show support for the military / patriotism - slightly stronger grounds to call them 'conservative', but it still makes me uncomfortable.

ALthough I haven't seen it, Persuit of Happyness is the only one that sounds like it has an identifiable conservative message.
    Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ed Anger

Sparta is the ideal Republican state. Republicans(Equals) rule over the moderates (peroci) and leftists(helots).

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on February 01, 2010, 05:05:21 PM
    ALthough I haven't seen it, Persuit of Happyness is the only one that sounds like it has an identifiable conservative message.

Come on, in Gladiator a gladitorial slave kills an Emperor reaffirming conservative values of not killing one's own father.

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on February 01, 2010, 05:29:40 PM
    That's just fucking bizarre.
    How shocking, people that renounce intellectualism say dumb things.

Barrister

Even though it contains many of the same movies, here is a better list of Conservative movies - National Review's 25 best conservative movies of the last 25 years.

http://nrd.nationalreview.com/article/?q=YWQ4MDlhMWRkZDQ5YmViMDM1Yzc0MTE3ZTllY2E3MGM=

Even the titles it shares in common with the first list, it does a much better job of explaining why they are "conservative".

The list isn't perfect, but it's a better starting point.

Plus I bet you never thought of "Ghostbusters" as being a conservative movie.   :huh:
    Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Martinus

I love how a movie about a bunch of midget potheads, tree-hugging homos and ren faire types kicking ass of the big industry and military, advances the conservative message. :D

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 01, 2010, 05:20:07 PM
    This list is crap.

I see your crap, and raise you crap I'd expect from the Guardian, not the Torygraph.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on February 01, 2010, 05:05:21 PMALthough I haven't seen it, Persuit of Happyness is the only one that sounds like it has an identifiable conservative message.

Only because its character eschews Gittin' On Dat Dere Welfare, and pulls himself up by his bootstraps, which would appeal to racist conservatives and Uncle Toms like Clarence Thomas who incidentally never needed bootstraps in the first place.

CountDeMoney

Quoteand ranks alongside Zulu, Saving Private Ryan and A Bridge Too Far as one of the greatest war films of all time.

Which of these does not belong?