The Top 10 Conservative Movies of the Last Decade

Started by viper37, February 01, 2010, 04:53:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 01, 2010, 07:25:47 PM
Batman doesn't represent chaos, he represents the order that the corrupt power structure of Gotham is incapable of providing.
I don't think you really understand American conservatism at all. After all you also said the A-team wasn't conservative as well.
I think its more a lot of American conservatives don't get what conservatism is about and just see themselves as the 'good guys'.
Conservatism= traditional values, stability, resistance to change, etc.... i.e.: 'the system'.

Batman really is chaotic I think. He's a shock to the corrupt stable system. Rather than going by the book and the corrupt courts and the corrupt police he just goes out there and gets the mobster everyone knows is a nasty piece of work.
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

Quote from: Fate on February 01, 2010, 07:40:56 PM
Quote from: katmai on February 01, 2010, 07:39:19 PM
Raz, show me a war that conservatives were against? :P
Kosovo?

World War 2?

World War 1?

Oh, I see a pattern here. Any war a Democrat starts?

I'm not sure Conservatives were keen on the Korean war.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Kosovo?

World War 2?

World War 1?

You're a fucking moron, Southern conservatives were Democrats in World War 1 & 2
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Batman is inherently fascist, and is proof that fascism is superior to democracy.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tyr on February 01, 2010, 07:42:59 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 01, 2010, 07:25:47 PM
Batman doesn't represent chaos, he represents the order that the corrupt power structure of Gotham is incapable of providing.
I don't think you really understand American conservatism at all. After all you also said the A-team wasn't conservative as well.
I think its more a lot of American conservatives don't get what conservatism is about and just see themselves as the 'good guys'.
Conservatism= traditional values, stability, resistance to change, etc.... i.e.: 'the system'.

Batman really is chaotic I think. He's a shock to the corrupt stable system. Rather than going by the book and the corrupt courts and the corrupt police he just goes out there and gets the mobster everyone knows is a nasty piece of work.
I vehemently disagree.  If continued efforts to correct a corrupt system fail, it eventually becomes justifiable to use force to effect change or to completely overthrow this system. This goes back to Locke and is something conservatives believe. 
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Fate

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 01, 2010, 07:49:07 PM
Kosovo?

World War 2?

World War 1?

You're a fucking moron, Southern conservatives were Democrats in World War 1 & 2

You're a fucking moron, conservativism wasn't a strictly regional ideology in World War 1 and 2.

America First was predominately a conservative movement. Although neoconservative revisionists and denialists like yourself will not allow such words to be spoken in their presence. Paleoconservatives tend to embrace their anti-American history.

Barrister

Kosovo?

World War 2?

World War 1?

Who is the bigger fucking moron Jimmy: Fate, or the person who responds to a Fate post?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

There's a lot more to Conservatism than just being resistant to change Tyr.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

katmai

Quote from: Barrister on February 01, 2010, 07:55:49 PM

Who is the bigger fucking moron Jimmy: Fate, or the person who responds to a Fate post?

Door three Monty! Timmay!
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Fate

Quote from: Barrister on February 01, 2010, 07:57:04 PM

There's a lot more to Conservatism than just being resistant to change Tyr.

Yeah. Being a selfish prick and faux religious is a huge component of conservatism.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Fate on February 01, 2010, 07:54:24 PM
Kosovo?

World War 2?

World War 1?

You're a fucking moron, conservativism wasn't a strictly regional ideology in World War 1 and 2.

America First was predominately a conservative movement. Although neoconservative revisionists and denialists like yourself will not allow such words to be spoken in their presence. Paleoconservatives tend to embrace their anti-American history.
The point I was making was that one can't compare the modern parties to those that existed before the realignment of the 70s.

Also, denailist? :unsure:

1 Karma Chameleon point

DGuller

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 01, 2010, 08:01:34 PM
The point I was making was that one can't compare the modern parties to those that existed before the realignment of the 70s.

And that point is not very good.  It's true that some factions switched camps, but as far as conservatism goes, it has been the rallying cry of Republicans for far longer than 40 years.

Viking

I hate the fact that you'd call our liberals conservatives and our conservatives liberal. Conservatives seek to uphold the present status quo.

I also hate the fact that liberals (as in classical liberal late 1800's liberals free markets and trade and human freedoms and rights) have been reduced to calling themselves a hyphenated adjective "Conservative-Liberal" I cringe. 
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: DGuller on February 01, 2010, 08:03:53 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 01, 2010, 08:01:34 PM

And that point is not very good.  It's true that some factions switched camps, but as far as conservatism goes, it has been the rallying cry of Republicans for far longer than 40 years.
Not true, the Republicans were far more progressive than the Democrats prior to the realignment.

1 Karma Chameleon point

DGuller

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 01, 2010, 08:14:12 PM
Not true, the Republicans were far more progressive than the Democrats prior to the realignment.
Was it Republicans who passed New Deal and Great Society?