News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Is fillibuster the American "liberum veto"?

Started by Martinus, January 30, 2010, 05:38:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: alfred russel on February 01, 2010, 01:17:33 PM
I don't remember. But it was a very large and significant bill, and certainly controversial, even if support for it was over 50%.
Republicans were offering counter proposals in the 400s and 500s, with more tax cuts and less spending.  The details may have been controversial but the concept of a large stimulus was not.

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 01, 2010, 02:00:55 PM

Republicans were offering counter proposals in the 400s and 500s, with more tax cuts and less spending.  The details may have been controversial but the concept of a large stimulus was not.

Is your point that the stimulus doesn't count as an unpopular initiative because the opposition wanted to spend a lot too, only on other things?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

Quote from: alfred russel on February 01, 2010, 02:09:31 PM
Is your point that the stimulus doesn't count as an unpopular initiative because the opposition wanted to spend a lot too, only on other things?
My point is that both sides were in broad agreement of the need for a Keynesian stimulus.

To the best of my knowledge the only person opposed entirely to the concept was our own Conservative White-Wash Express. 

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 01, 2010, 02:19:41 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on February 01, 2010, 02:09:31 PM
My point is that both sides were in broad agreement of the need for a Keynesian stimulus.

To the best of my knowledge the only person opposed entirely to the concept was our own Conservative White-Wash Express.

A stimulus through tax cuts is not keynsian. But in any event, the spending of a lot of money on something other than you want seems like more than a minor quibble.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Alatriste

Quote from: alfred russel on February 01, 2010, 02:30:16 PM
A stimulus through tax cuts is not keynesian.

Quoted for truth. The very essence of Keynesianism is, during crisis tax cuts are less efficient than direct government spending because people is afraid and hoard the money rather than spend it.