John Paul II: Putting "mass" into "sado-massochism"

Started by Martinus, January 27, 2010, 09:57:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

QuotePope John Paul Flagellated Himself, Says 'Why A Saint': Flagellation Definition And Info
First Posted: 01-26-10 01:03 PM   |   Updated: 01-26-10 01:55 PM

Pope John Paul practiced flagellation and flagellated himself to emulate Jesus Christ's suffering, according to "Why A Saint," a book written by Monsignor Slawomir Oder.

Flagellation is defined as the process of driving or punishing someone, typically through whipping.

"In Krakow as in the Vatican, Karol Wojtyla flagellated himself," Oder writes in the book. He cites testimony from people close to the pope and prior bishop.

Monsignor Oder is the Vatican official in charge of leading an investigation that may lead to Roman Catholic sainthood for John Paul, who died in 2005.

Reports in the past, such as one in November 2009, have suggested Pope John Paul "whipped himself" in remorse for sins.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/01/26/pope-john-paul-flagellate_n_437116.html

I know it is spelled "masochism" btw.  :rolleyes:

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Martinus

Josephus

I flagellate myself twice a day. :huh:

OH...No, it's not what I thought it meant.  :blush:
;)

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

MadImmortalMan

I saw this on Yahoo's front page yesterday and the first thing I thought was "I wonder if Marti will start a thread on this...".

:lol:
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

BuddhaRhubarb

:lol: He was planning ahead. Most saints need to be a bit freaky to be accepted.

edit :w00t: I'm no longer a strawman, I'm a byzanteen.
:p

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

Quote from: viper37 on January 27, 2010, 02:00:42 PM
Quote from: Martinus on January 27, 2010, 09:57:58 AM

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/01/26/pope-john-paul-flagellate_n_437116.html

I think it wasn't unusual for devout priests of the past to do that.

I don't know - maybe in other countries, but to be honest this is the first example of such practice I ever heard of in Poland. I mean, who knows what goes behind closed doors with all the pervvy priests and whatnot, but this is not something that is either acknowledged or encouraged among Polish catholics.

Josephus

I'm not sure about priests. I imagine it might have been common in pre-Vatican Two times during lent. But in the monasteries, I think this sort of thing was fairly common.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Malthus

Actually, the thought of the Pope smacking his own flabby, elderly ass with a whip puts the "sad" in sado-masochism.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Larch

Quote from: Martinus on January 27, 2010, 04:36:16 PM
Quote from: viper37 on January 27, 2010, 02:00:42 PM
Quote from: Martinus on January 27, 2010, 09:57:58 AM

I think it wasn't unusual for devout priests of the past to do that.

I don't know - maybe in other countries, but to be honest this is the first example of such practice I ever heard of in Poland. I mean, who knows what goes behind closed doors with all the pervvy priests and whatnot, but this is not something that is either acknowledged or encouraged among Polish catholics.