News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

I just got fired

Started by Siege, January 21, 2010, 07:52:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siege

I got fired from Recon. Well, we all did. They fired everybody and got new people to man the reconaissance platoon for our battalion. So, now I'm in Cco, Charlie company, 3rd platoon. I'm the weapons squad leader, so I got two M240B machine-gun teams working for me. This is so below my training and skills. I have been reduced to a damn babysitter.

On the other hand, I expent 4 and 1/2 years in Recon. I passed the tryouts 3 times, while everybody else averaged between a year and a year and 1/2 before getting sent somewhere else. I guess I can't complain, other than complaining on the Army's stupid rules that people have to be switched around to spread out the combat power.

So, I am no longer Stalker 2. Now I'm friggin Blue 4. Gay ass line companies' call signs are color coded.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Josquius

Hey, at least you're not pink. Blue is a fine colour.
██████
██████
██████

Caliga

Sorry, but if it's just a normal duty rotation (which I assume you knew about in advance), I don't see any reason to complain. :huh:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Grey Fox

Maybe you were not fired because you suck but because Weapons Squad, sucked.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Viking

did anybody else read the thread title and think "postal" ?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Martim Silva

I thought you wanted to write that you've been fired AT.

While I disliked Recon units, I can understand your feelings, since Recon seems to be one of the few interesting activities in Iraq.

I wouldn't do it myself, but whatever rocks your boat.

KRonn

You did have a long go of it in recon, so good for you on that. Too bad that you got switched out, given how much you like that duty. This new job will give you a chance to expand your overall unit skills and knowledge, won't it? So in that, I'd think it would be beneficial to your career.

Siege

Quote from: KRonn on January 21, 2010, 08:07:37 AM
You did have a long go of it in recon, so good for you on that. Too bad that you got switched out, given how much you like that duty. This new job will give you a chance to expand your overall unit skills and knowledge, won't it? So in that, I'd think it would be beneficial to your career.

Well yeah, its going to be benificial because nobody gets promoted to Sergeant First Class (Platoon Sergeant) without first being a squad leader in the line. The thing is that it is too easy to deal with bad soldiers in Recon. If a guy is a piece of shit and fail to perform, I just kick his ass back to the line. That's why Recon is so high speed, because you have to want to be there to be there. But in the line, there is nothing lower to kick the bad apples to. You have a soldier that fails to perform, and you can't just get rid of him, you have to actually re-train the guy, counsel him, babysit him, and if the guy is beyond help, article 15 and chapter his ass out of the Army, which is a long and tedious process.

So, when you have the time in service and the time in rank to get promoted to E-7 (Sergeant First Class), they are going to look at your service record, and if it says that you have been in Recon the whole time, they are going to assume, and rightly so, that you don't know how to deal with the shit in the line. That's why doing your "line time" is a must for promotion.

But then, I don't really care about promotion. I guess you can say that I don't really have a choice. It is just the way the army works. I have to be an squad leader in the line for at least 18 months.

Caliga

Seige, I would like you to attend OCS, mainly because I like the sound of "Major Seigebreaker".  Sounds like a GI Joe character. :smoke:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Admiral Yi

What's your current rank Seeb?

Neil

You'll never make field marshal with that kind of attitude.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Syt

Quote from: Neil on January 21, 2010, 08:56:52 AM
You'll never make field marshal chief judge with that kind of attitude.

FYP
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Monoriu

Civil servants get rotated all the time too.  But we usually stagger the rotations to retain the experience and organizational memory.  We almost never transfer everybody out of the same unit at the same time.

DGuller

Quote from: Viking on January 21, 2010, 07:59:15 AM
did anybody else read the thread title and think "postal" ?
Close.  I assumed the psych eval results for Siege came back.

Siege

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 21, 2010, 07:57:24 AM
Maybe you were not fired because you suck but because Weapons Squad, sucked.

Well, that was the argument, more or less.

The CSM (Command Sergeant Major), came to us saying that the battalion was all fucked-up, that the line platoons weren't agressive enough, and that he wanted to spread out the recon platoon along the three line companies, a total of 9 platoons, to increase their combat power.

That, of course, is bullshit. You don't break up a platoon half way through a deployment, and the line platoons are not agressive because they are restricted by the rules of engagement. Every time we get in a firefight we get investigated, guilty of discharging our weapons without a tactical reason until proven innocent. That makes everybody hesitate when coming under fire. Two of the line platoons were shot at, and didn't return fire. A 3rd platoon did return fired, but failed to manouver and close on the enemy. They are not agressive because they don't want to end up in jail, bottom line.

Now Recon, every time we have gotten enagaged we have returned fire supressing the enemy, manouvering and closing in for the kill. The diference is that in recon we have better training, better equipment, especially optics to see who is shooting at us and who isn't, and a dedication for the fight even if it cost us. Recon is a family of like-minded people dedicated to the fight. Now, with these new platoons we have been asigned to, there is no family here, we are the new guys, these fuckers ain't gonna cover our asses when the shit hits the fan. So basicly, the one really good platoon in the battalion, have been diluted among the rest.

I think the moral is pretty low right now, all across the board. The ones that still want to fight can't fight, the ones that don't want to fight are asking why are we still here in Iraq, and the ones that are just tired of all this shit just want to go back home and get the fuck out of the Army.