Iowa court says gay marriage ban unconstitutional

Started by garbon, April 03, 2009, 09:47:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on April 03, 2009, 02:51:10 PM
So you think gays are so weak-minded that they need government to encourage them to enter stable relationships?  Interesting.

Weak-minded? I think it is a question of priorities.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Quote from: dps on April 03, 2009, 03:11:01 PM
Quote from: derspiess on April 03, 2009, 02:51:10 PM
Quote from: Martinus on April 03, 2009, 02:49:59 PM
I disagree. I think the society has a vested interest in promoting stable relationships between people (as long as it does not lose sight of individual rights of people involved and does not force them to stay in relationships against their will). This interest is there whether the couple of same sex or different sex.

So you think gays are so weak-minded that they need government to encourage them to enter stable relationships?  Interesting.

I was going to say that the government would have to force Marty into a stable relationship, not just encourage him, but that's not fair, because it seems like Marty might actually want to a certain extent to be in a stable relationship (though not married).
Actually you are quite wrong.

I had simply never met the right person before. I used to think it's impossible or at least will never happen to me.

However, in my mind's eye I can easily picture myself wearing a matching tux with my groom. And it would be the full blown thing, not some quick trip to the mayor. So there. :P

See, you assume too much about me.

dps

Quote from: Martinus on April 03, 2009, 03:15:50 PM
Quote from: dps on April 03, 2009, 03:11:01 PMI was going to say that the government would have to force Marty into a stable relationship, not just encourage him, but that's not fair, because it seems like Marty might actually want to a certain extent to be in a stable relationship (though not married).

I had simply never met the right person before. I used to think it's impossible or at least will never happen to me.

I'm pretty sure that you've posted stuff to that effect before, which was what I was basing my statement on.

Martinus

Quote from: dps on April 04, 2009, 11:02:13 AM
Quote from: Martinus on April 03, 2009, 03:15:50 PM
Quote from: dps on April 03, 2009, 03:11:01 PMI was going to say that the government would have to force Marty into a stable relationship, not just encourage him, but that's not fair, because it seems like Marty might actually want to a certain extent to be in a stable relationship (though not married).

I'm pretty sure that you've posted stuff to that effect before, which was what I was basing my statement on.
Link me baby.

grumbler

Quote from: Faeelin on April 03, 2009, 10:09:57 AM
Anyway, it will get repealed by referendum because the religious groups of America have made it clear they'd rather spend hundreds of millions of dollars to stop people from being happy rather than, you know, feed the hungry.
What will get repealed by referendum?  The Iowa constitution?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on April 04, 2009, 04:23:59 PM
Quote from: Faeelin on April 03, 2009, 10:09:57 AM
Anyway, it will get repealed by referendum because the religious groups of America have made it clear they'd rather spend hundreds of millions of dollars to stop people from being happy rather than, you know, feed the hungry.
What will get repealed by referendum?  The Iowa constitution?

First we repeal the constitution then we can do anything!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Hansmeister

Looks like a bunch of God-Emperors reading some magic tea leaves and divining completely new laws.  There's a place for this and it's called the legislature.  They're supposed to make laws.

It won't be long before the Mormons and the muslims use the same argument for a constitutional right to poligamy.  The logic is inescapable.

grumbler

Quote from: Hansmeister on April 04, 2009, 05:02:44 PM
It won't be long before the Mormons and the muslims use the same argument for a constitutional right to poligamy.  The logic is inescapable.
Given that Muslims and Mormons would be asking for the exact same treatment under the law as non-Muslims and non-Mormons, what they would get is a right to monogamous marriage, which they already have.

The logic says any other conclusion is inescapably moronic.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Neil

Quote from: grumbler on April 04, 2009, 06:30:13 PM
Given that Muslims and Mormons would be asking for the exact same treatment under the law as non-Muslims and non-Mormons, what they would get is a right to monogamous marriage, which they already have.

They don't want monogamous marriage, in exactly the same way that faggots don't want to marry women.

Hans has defeated you in every way.  Feel shame.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Hansmeister

Quote from: grumbler on April 04, 2009, 06:30:13 PM

Gays have a right to monogamous marriage already.  The limit of marriage being defined as being between a man and a woman is certainly no more arbitrary as the limit to the number of marriage partners.  At least, unlike gay marriage, polygamie has an actual historic background.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

grumbler

Quote from: Hansmeister on April 04, 2009, 09:13:04 PM
Gays have a right to monogamous marriage already.  The limit of marriage being defined as being between a man and a woman is certainly no more arbitrary as the limit to the number of marriage partners.  At least, unlike gay marriage, polygamie has an actual historic background.
No, actually, gays do not.  They cannot marry people with whom they are in a loving monogamous relationship.  Banning gay marriage is no more an exercise in fairness than banning all marriages but gay ones would be.

And while polygamy may have actual historical background, and I do not oppose it, its legality or illegality is completely unrelated to the issue of whether or not gays should have the right to marry monogamously.  If gays were asking for polygamous marriage, then you would have an argument.

Bayraktar!

Neil

Quote from: grumbler on April 04, 2009, 10:14:35 PM
Quote from: Hansmeister on April 04, 2009, 09:13:04 PM
No, actually, gays do not.  They cannot marry people with whom they are in a loving monogamous relationship.  Banning gay marriage is no more an exercise in fairness than banning all marriages but gay ones would be.

And while polygamy may have actual historical background, and I do not oppose it, its legality or illegality is completely unrelated to the issue of whether or not gays should have the right to marry monogamously.  If gays were asking for polygamous marriage, then you would have an argument.
It's shocking to see you pushing your apples and oranges argument, when you should be feeling shame due to your defeat.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017