News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Looking for an out-of-print book

Started by merithyn, January 13, 2010, 03:31:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

I'm trying to find an out-of-print book titled, "The Archaeology of Medieval Bookbinding" by J.A. Szirmai. It's retailing for roughly $200 at the moment, but I was hoping that one of you brilliant individuals out there might have a suggestion on getting hold of this book at a much lower cost.

Anyone?
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

grumbler

Good luck!  It isn't out of print, per se.  It is just a very expensive book.  I'd check things like Craig's List.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Richard Hakluyt

It's available on Amazon.UK (new) for a mere £99.25............secondhand copies seem to be going for at least £130.

Hmmm......these chaps charge £99.25 and have worldwide delivery for free :

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/book/9780859679046/The-Archaeology-of-Medieval-Bookbinding

so $160....

The Brain

Quote from: merithyn on January 13, 2010, 03:31:52 PM
I'm trying to find an out-of-print book titled, "The Archaeology of Medieval Bookbinding" by J.A. Szirmai. It's retailing for roughly $200 at the moment, but I was hoping that one of you brilliant individuals out there might have a suggestion on getting hold of this book at a much lower cost.

Anyone?

Legally?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

How about a library copy?

http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/39217049&referer=brief_results

You are near Univ of Illionis? There is a copy there.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Syt

Have you checked abebooks.com?

EDIT: Starts at 190$ there.  :blush:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Richard Hakluyt

It's one of those books, anyone seriously interested in medieval bookbinding has to have it and the rest of us are not interested (not >£20 interested anyway). The only cheap copies are probably when some old fellow dies and his gormless relatives flog his books off in a garage sale for a pitiful price, I don't think we'll be able to find a bookseller who would sell it cheap  :(

Barrister

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 13, 2010, 04:05:51 PM
How about a library copy?

http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/39217049&referer=brief_results

You are near Univ of Illionis? There is a copy there.

I think that's exactly where she is (or Champagne, Ill, anyways).

But if I'm wrong there are always inter-library loans.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ed Anger

Josephus

It's not in my "Book of the Month Club Catalogue".

;)
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

CountDeMoney

Bookbinding? Medieval? The fuck, man.  Twine and a needle, and presto.  So easy even a monk could do it.

merithyn

The library here does have it, but I would like my own copy. Apparently, it's the bible of bookbinding, which would be nice, since learning how to sew the damn things is NOT an easy process, despite those damn monks. (Though, to be honest, while thousands of monks wrote and drew on paper, only a scant few hundred actually made the pages into books.)

I'm not willing to spend that much on it, though. I'm just too cheap.  :blush:

Oooooh, but today I went to the Rare & Unique Books section in the University library... holy cow, I nearly creamed myself. They had a book on display published by B. Franklin, several pre-17th century books in their original covers and bindings, and a Bible written in "Indian" (Native American) in 1640 for "the purpose of conversion of the native savages."  Poor Max had to listen to me geek out about the books all through our dinner out tonight. He's really a very patient man. :wub:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Ed Anger

Women that read. WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO MY AMERICA? :weep: