Main Menu

Mark McGwire admits to using steroids!

Started by Razgovory, January 11, 2010, 04:10:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

dps

Quote from: alfred russel on January 11, 2010, 07:13:26 PM
Quote from: dps on January 11, 2010, 07:07:03 PM

If the writers don't vote him in, as it stands now he can't get in.  The VC is currently limited to considering only players from before 1943. 

Of course, that'll change regardless of Big Mac's status.  They've changed the rules the VC operates under more often than some Languishites probably change their underwear.

Are you sure? That doesn't seem right.

It doesn't matter who does it, eventually he will get in.

Well, if could be a bit off--I don't have exact data on frequency of underwear change for all posters here.

Seriously, I'm not entirely sure exactly what the rules are now.  They really do change them so often that it can be hard to keep up, especially since some of the changes have been pretty arcane and have been buried in press releases that dealt mostly with other Hall of Fame-related matters.

CountDeMoney

The problem with Cooperstown is too many George F. Will bowtie poindexters have the vote.

If Charlie Hustle isn't allowed in, neither should the Human Growth Hormone League.

sbr

Least surprising surprise ever. :yawn:

I think this helps his HoF chances enough that he will make it at some point in the next 3-7 years.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: sbr on January 11, 2010, 11:57:37 PM
Least surprising surprise ever. :yawn:

I think this helps his HoF chances enough that he will make it at some point in the next 3-7 years.

I disagree, he's barely cracked 20% up to this point.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=bryant_howard&id=4817361
His admission does not increase his worthiness for the Hall of Fame; indeed it should weaken his already faint chances at enshrinement because he is, in totality, a steroid creation unable to use the Bonds/Clemens "He was a Hall of Famer before he used" argument -- but McGwire gained respect as a man. Like Pete Rose, whose ultimate gambling admission game to sell a book and apply for reinstatement to the game, McGwire likely will be criticized for coming clean because he had something to gain -- a job in the game from which he had suffered a serious exile -- but his admission does have value.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on January 11, 2010, 05:18:23 PM
I'll say it - it's nice to see him come clean.

Except he is only doing it to get the job he wants as St. Louis hitting coach.  The dude is a liar and scumbag to the end.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on January 11, 2010, 06:52:35 PM
Quote from: Valmy on January 11, 2010, 04:41:24 PM
You still aren't getting into the Hall of Fame Mark.

He is going to make it. Eventually they are going to let in Bonds, Clemens, Sosa, or Rodriguez--I can't imagine none of those guys getting in. At that point, what rationale is there to keep him out? At worst he goes to the veteran's committee before getting in.

They cheated and don't deserve it?  And seriously putting a worthless hack like Sosa in there with Clemens, Bonds, and Rodriguez?

McGwire had one good season he spent virtually the entire rest of his career with partial seasons due to injury.  Even if he did not take steroids I have a hard time seeing him making it.  Roger Maris isn't in for his one season and it was an actual clean season.  Why the fuck should McGwire make it for having one season where he cheated his ass off?  Where is the sense in that?  Being in the Baseball Hall of Fame requires consistent excellence, not having one good season where you break a record through chemistry.  Heck having one good season where you broke a record without cheating is not good enough.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on January 12, 2010, 09:02:09 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on January 11, 2010, 06:52:35 PM
Quote from: Valmy on January 11, 2010, 04:41:24 PM
You still aren't getting into the Hall of Fame Mark.

He is going to make it. Eventually they are going to let in Bonds, Clemens, Sosa, or Rodriguez--I can't imagine none of those guys getting in. At that point, what rationale is there to keep him out? At worst he goes to the veteran's committee before getting in.

They cheated and don't deserve it?  And seriously putting a worthless hack like Sosa in there with Clemens, Bonds, and Rodriguez?

McGwire had one good season he spent virtually the entire rest of his career with partial seasons due to injury.  Even if he did not take steroids I have a hard time seeing him making it.  Roger Maris isn't in for his one season and it was an actual clean season.  Why the fuck should McGwire make it for having one season where he cheated his ass off?  Where is the sense in that?  Being in the Baseball Hall of Fame requires consistent excellence, not having one good season where you break a record through chemistry.  Heck having one good season where you broke a record without cheating is not good enough.
McGwire had 5 great seasons, though it seems clear he cheated through all of them. I don't think he deserves to be in the hall either. He's nowhere near the caliber of Bonds, Clemens or A-Rod.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/mcgwima01.shtml?redir
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 12, 2010, 09:16:46 AM
I don't think he deserves to be in the hall either. He's nowhere near the caliber of Bonds, Clemens or A-Rod.

Those three guys would be in the Hall of Fame anyway if they had never taken Steroids.  As it is I think Rodriguez will get in anyway.  Not sure about Bonds or Clemens, I think they will go the way of Shoeless Joe and Pete Rose but we will see.

alfred russel

He is in the top 10 in all time homeruns. Everyone in the top 25 is either in the hall of fame, still active, or recently retired.

Bonds, Clemens, and A-Rod are unfair comparisons because they were clear first ballot hall of famers (before the steroid issues).
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 11, 2010, 07:22:44 PM
The problem with Cooperstown is too many George F. Will bowtie poindexters have the vote.

If Charlie Hustle isn't allowed in, neither should the Human Growth Hormone League.

Agree on both counts, surprisingly.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

Quote from: alfred russel on January 12, 2010, 10:18:24 AM
He is in the top 10 in all time homeruns. Everyone in the top 25 is either in the hall of fame, still active, or recently retired.

Shoeless Joe had a .355 lifetime batting average. Granted, his offense was both greater and less common.

But yeah, if you just go by the stats, McGwire easily deserves to be in the HOF.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

They had Bobby Knight on ESPN to comment on this. :lol:

"Who decides what performance enhancing things go onto the list, anyways? Gatorade is performance enhancing. ... If it's against the rules then I'm the first who says he shouldn't do it, though. I think he had bad advice coming with the statement as he did."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

KRonn

It's up to the league to decide their direction. If the league wants to allow this, since it draws fans or what ever, then that's their call. And apparently that's what direction the league is taking. If not, then the league should take serious action when it finds out.

I'm pretty disgusted with these juiced up guys breaking records. I say when they're found out, take serious action. Remove their records, partially at least. They shouldn't be allowed to hold top records. Yes, other guys juiced up will still do it, and if found take them to task as well, including some sort of downgrading of their records. That will eventually tell the players who might think of juicing up not to do it else they will face consequences. Otherwise, the league can continue on, nothing to see here, just watch the pretty baseball sail over the fence....

alfred russel

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 12, 2010, 11:27:50 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on January 12, 2010, 10:18:24 AM

Shoeless Joe had a .355 lifetime batting average. Granted, his offense was both greater and less common.

But yeah, if you just go by the stats, McGwire easily deserves to be in the HOF.

But Shoeless Joe, like Pete Rose, is ineligible. I can see reasons MLB might want to consider the two situations similar, but if MLB wants similar punishment then all of our roiders are going to be kicked out of baseball permanently on the first offense. Which isn't going to happen.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014