Star Wars vs Star Trek - the ultimate nerd battle

Started by Barrister, January 05, 2010, 06:15:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which is the better sci fi series: Star Wars or Star Trek?

Star Wars
33 (45.2%)
Star Trek
36 (49.3%)
I like to pretend I'm not a nerd (even though I post on languish)
4 (5.5%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Zanza

The two last Star Wars (i.e. episodes 2 + 3) films aren't worse than Star Trek 1, 3, 5, 7, 9 or 10. 

Neil

Quote from: Zanza on January 06, 2010, 07:42:14 AM
The two last Star Wars (i.e. episodes 2 + 3) films aren't worse than Star Trek 1, 3, 5, 7, 9 or 10.
Star Trek 1 and 3 were good.  Stop being so gay.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Savonarola

Quote from: Queequeg on January 05, 2010, 06:24:07 PM

:huh:
Are you fucking serious?  Frank Herbert almost sued Lucas.  What do you think Tatooine is, anyway? Tusken Raiders?  They even have a Sand Worm carcass in the background.

Tatooine is the wild west in space: Mos Eisely Space Port is a fronteir town; Han Solo is the outlaw who turns into a hero, like the Ringo Kid; Tusken Raiders are the warlike Indian tribes, like the Comanche; and Jawa are the more peaceful trading tribes.  Lucas stole deep and wide when he made Star Wars, one of his influences was John Ford's "The Searchers."  The misfortunes that befall Luke early in the film (death of the guardians while he is away), his reaction when he pieces it together (recklessly racing home) and his ultimate decision to follow the older teacher mirror those of Martin Pawley.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Brain

W was influenced by Dune when he invaded Iraq.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Neil

Dune didn't even come out until 1984 anyways, so how could Star Wars be influenced by it?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Savonarola

Quote from: Neil on January 06, 2010, 09:08:11 AM
Dune didn't even come out until 1984 anyways, so how could Star Wars be influenced by it?

Sting's acting transcends space and time.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Caliga

Quote from: Neil on January 06, 2010, 09:08:11 AM
Ironically, I remember when I first watched the Dune movie, I thought "This is a ripoff of Star Wars, only shittier."

Caliga

grumbler

Quote from: Tamas on January 06, 2010, 03:02:22 AM
And lastly, Star Wars has fans who are not complete and total nerds. The hardcore Trekkies however are the biggest nerds in the universe. Learning Klingon and admiring the communist dictatorship which is the Federation? Fuck that.
This may be true in the Third World, but in the First World we have SW LARPers, who are far, far nerdier than the ST fans who think learning Klingon is a hoot.

I don't know any adults who would admit that they thought the kiddie films were better than the ST stuff.  Even if the teddy bears didn't drive them away, Jar-Jar would have.

I know next to nothing about any SW stuff other than the first four movies.  The books, when they first started coming out, looked like craptastic pulp, and the fourth movie was so bad I have never bothered with the fifth or sixth one.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Syt on January 06, 2010, 03:34:33 AM
The worst Trek series is Voyager, because it totally sissified the Borg.

It's the worst, but not even for that.  The series tried to pick up some slack in seasons 6 and 7 (4 and 5 were complete and utter shite, admittedly), but then they had to go out with that ending lifted straight from Fanfic.net.  I gotta admit, though, ENT didn't mesh with my schedule, and I complained about that right up until I found out about an episode involving time travel and the Defiant.  ENT's problem was that they tried to capitalize on the resurgence of Dr. Who, and failed miserably.
Experience bij!

frunk

Quote from: DontSayBanana on January 06, 2010, 09:33:37 AM
It's the worst, but not even for that.  The series tried to pick up some slack in seasons 6 and 7 (4 and 5 were complete and utter shite, admittedly), but then they had to go out with that ending lifted straight from Fanfic.net.  I gotta admit, though, ENT didn't mesh with my schedule, and I complained about that right up until I found out about an episode involving time travel and the Defiant.  ENT's problem was that they tried to capitalize on the resurgence of Dr. Who, and failed miserably.

The last episode of Enterprise aired May 2005.  The first episode of the new Dr. Who aired on BBC in March 2005.  I don't think there was that much influence of Dr. Who on Enterprise, at least not from the latest outing.