News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Languish Universalis - Game thread

Started by Slargos, January 03, 2010, 07:14:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alcibiades

Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Tamas

Alcibiades

:P
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

katmai

South Africa speaking Portuguese, such a beautiful sight :weep:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Tamas

Fun session, culminating in Kleves von Austria whipping my Ottoman ass, then proceeding to defeat my ally France, together with the help of Spain.

The funniest twist during the game, however, -which also shows just how asewome the non-historical monarchs system is- happened unkown to everyone but Habbaku and me.

You see by the start of the session, I had my general plan well laid out: Cut back on Poland with the help of Austria (Polacks had Transylvania and such back then), then proceed to break our deal regarding Hungary and eat it up, before or during Habbaku's France attacks Austria (which is a monster so we had to try).

Kleves did not manage to get a CB against Poland so I went in alone. It went surprisingly easy. Then the moment I made peace with the Polacks, Hungary declared war on me, drawing Naples in as well who at that time controlled southern Italy, Ragusa and Montenegro.
So everything went according to plan. Then... the French king died with his heir being a young kid, so a regency council took power, rendering Habs unable to declare war. Our plan of surprise double attack went right out of the window, but only by the time I already had all of Hungary under control, just waiting to peace out Naples first. So needless to say Kleves was growing restless over the fact I have his share of the Magyars under control.

We had no choice but to form a Franco-Ottoman alliance openly, and hope Kleves would pull the trigger over his rage of my brake of treaty, but he was smarter.
And this was the point where we should have abandoned or changed our plans.

But we did not, and Kleves obviously knew what we were up to, and had time to prepare.

Jaron

Love the colonial map. :)

My favorite part of EU games has always been how to watch the colonial race. I love the changes made in EU3 in regards to colonial ranges and such. Always annoyed me to see people grabbing asian possessions in 1430 and such. It feels much more of a gradual buildup rather than a race to certain predetermined provinces.

Good game so far.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Habbaku

Quote from: Tamas on February 14, 2010, 04:19:06 PM
The funniest twist during the game, however, -which also shows just how asewome the non-historical monarchs system is- happened unkown to everyone but Habbaku and me.

Though having an 18-year regency (the kid was 0 years old when my king died) was actually pretty amusing (the best laid plans of mice and men...), the funniest twist, by far, was England falling to religiously-inspired rebels and being force-converted into an Archbishopric.

We had a crash several years after England lost their little civil war (though not before one of the revolter colonies defected to France) and decided that it'd be too hampering of Sol to keep him as an Archbishopric.  So, with a little editing, the Tudor dynasty was reinstated to the crown of England with a warning that divine intervention wouldn't happen a second time.

Screenshots of the economy and such will follow now, but I will only have time for commentary later tonight.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Solmyr

The funniest thing is that so far every English monarch has been named Henry. Henry XI just died, and there is a regency for his heir Henry XII.

katmai

:lol: 50 galleys from Turks.
So really France has largest Navy in world....barely

Kleves

Only 6 big ships for the UK. :weep:
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Habbaku

Unsurprisingly, the most growth in this session was done by France and Austria with ~53% each.  The former due to intense investment in manufacturies throughout the nation and, of course, steady growth in the colonial sphere (such as seizing the rich islands of the Caribbean and more coastline settlement of Quebec).  Austria's growth is likely due to much the same reason, but also due to further encroachment into Hungarian, Polish and Bohemian territory--something that should be watched closely, considering the richness of those lands.

What should be a bit more surprising, though, is the fact that Spain (27% growth) has actually fallen behind little Portugal--easily the largest grower in percentage, at 83% of their former economy--in terms of income.  This is, of course, partially due to the fact that Castille was under possibly the worst ruler of all time for a good 40-odd years, but is also due to the troubles that they've had managing their vast, colonial empire.  Time will tell if things turn around for the beleaguered Spanish (perhaps with the new king being reared?).  The Portuguese have done well for themselves and, as the naval statistics show, their navy is easily the strongest in the world with only France posing a potential threat--and not much of one, considering half her ships are light barques rather than main-line warships.

Elsewhere, England has seen better days, though did exhibit respectable growth (39%) despite the immense amount of trouble they had this session.  Surely, soon enough, their navy will join the great powers of Europe and stand strong against those who would threaten their growing strength.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

Holy Portugese Navy Batman!  :o

As for my 50 galleys, they are more than adeqaute for the opposition I usually face: Mameluk ports to blockade, pirates, and AI nations with miniscule navies trying to sneak-invade.

katmai

Quote from: Tamas on February 15, 2010, 02:44:56 AM
Holy Portugese Navy Batman!  :o

As for my 50 galleys, they are more than adeqaute for the opposition I usually face: Mameluk ports to blockade, pirates, and AI nations with miniscule navies trying to sneak-invade.

Oh no don't get me wrong, if i was OE it would be my tactic as well. My first look at ledger was holy shit, then i saw the force composition.

As to my Blue Water  fleet, it's the only horse i can bring to this race. My manpower is like a 10th of the major powers :lol:

And i need the fleet  to get maximum gain of all the overseas colonies. :)