News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

American Innumeracy

Started by jimmy olsen, December 30, 2009, 08:54:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaron

Sigh another Josq language argument.

Anyhoo, is it really important for people to know how to do this stuff in their head? As long as we have calculators and computers, theres not much benefit to being able to do it on your own. No one laments the death of calligraphy, for example, and yet we still print stuff out in fancy fonts.

We should adjust our education to meet the technological levels of our society. Just because Japanese nerds can calculate a 15% tip in their head doesn't put them at any more of an advantage than me doing it in the same amount of time with a calculator.

I think our math skills overall are slipping, but that is due to the burden on the education system and the very little amount of actual teaching that goes on there.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

HisMajestyBOB

The root problem is that Americans generally don't care about school or learning, and too many parents don't care about their kids education. Yeah, the average American's math abilities is atrocious, but so is their ability at a number of other subjects.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

ulmont

Quote from: Cerr on December 30, 2009, 09:36:51 AM
Well as I'm a neutral observer (neither British or American), I declare that 'Maths' is the logical shortening of 'Mathematics'. :P

This makes no sense.  'Math' is the logical shortening of 'Mathematics'.   :contract:

Cerr

Quote from: Neil on December 30, 2009, 09:37:28 AM
Quote from: Cerr on December 30, 2009, 09:36:51 AM
Quote from: ulmont on December 30, 2009, 09:25:32 AM
Quote from: Cerr on December 30, 2009, 09:16:48 AM
Why are you annoyed by people calling it 'Maths'.
It seems more appropriate than 'Math'.

"Maths" is the horrible brit-speak version.  "Math" is the true and right american-speak version.
Well as I'm a neutral observer (neither British or American), I declare that 'Maths' is the logical shortening of 'Mathematics'.   :P
Aren't you from Ireland?  That makes you British.
I think you have a bad grasp on geography.
This might come as a shock to you but Ireland and Britain are two separate islands.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Jaron on December 30, 2009, 09:42:08 AM
Josq didn't start it.  He avoided it until Tim went mental.
Let's bomb Russia!

DGuller

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on December 30, 2009, 09:21:08 AM
Maths is fucking annoying and makes me want to start breaking bones
Agreed.  British dialect can be really inexplicable sometimes.

The Brain

I was brilliant in school. My theory why most people aren't is that they're stupid.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Jaron

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 30, 2009, 09:50:12 AM

Josq started it by using "maths". Tim was just being Tim. Would you not blame someone for participating in a flame war if they insisted on responding to a known troll?
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Sheilbh

Quote from: ulmont on December 30, 2009, 09:47:22 AM
This makes no sense.  'Math' is the logical shortening of 'Mathematics'.   :contract:
But mathematics is a plural (in English, French, Latin and, I believe, Greek).  I don't think the linguistic difference between the US and the UK matters at all.  But your argument is like saying 'hippo' should be used for a herd because hippopotamuses as opposed to, for example, hippos.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Yet again its other people insisting I'm wrong :contract:

And yeah, what Sheilbh says. Shortened words keep their s if they're a plural. Television is TV, televisions is TVs.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: Jaron on December 30, 2009, 09:51:52 AM
Josq started it by using "maths". Tim was just being Tim. Would you not blame someone for participating in a flame war if they insisted on responding to a known troll?
I would use maths too.  I don't think it's okay for me to go mental at an American for writing if I say in the first post of a thread on colour theory that I really hate it when they cut the 'u'.  I think it's weird but there you are.
Let's bomb Russia!

DGuller

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 30, 2009, 09:53:55 AM
Quote from: ulmont on December 30, 2009, 09:47:22 AM
But mathematics is a plural (in English, French, Latin and, I believe, Greek).  I don't think the linguistic difference between the US and the UK matters at all.  But your argument is like saying 'hippo' should be used for a herd because hippopotamuses as opposed to, for example, hippos.
Mathematics is "matematica" in Russian, and is singular.  When Americans and Russians agree, it's probably a good sign that they're right and those that disagree with them are wrong.

The Brain

We can always use Swedish "matte". :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 30, 2009, 09:50:12 AM

Josq is always trolling with his weird incomprehensible britspeak.

ulmont

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 30, 2009, 09:53:55 AM
But mathematics is a plural (in English, French, Latin and, I believe, Greek).

Listed as taking a singular verb in multiple definitions, and as "usually singular in construction" from Merriam-Webster.