News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

American captured by North Korea

Started by Razgovory, December 29, 2009, 02:01:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/12/29/north.korean.american.held/index.html

I imagine the state department would really prefer if people stopped wandering into hostile countries.

Quote(CNN)  -- North Korea announced Tuesday that it is holding an American who illegally entered the country on Christmas Eve, possibly a Korean-American missionary who told relatives he was trying to sneak into the isolated communist state.

The state-run Korea Central News Agency said the man was taken into custody after entering North Korea from China on December 24 and was "now under investigation by a relevant organ."

It provided no details, but the description appears to match the case of 28-year-old Robert Park, an Arizona man reported to have entered the country illegally to bring a message of "Christ's love and forgiveness" to North Korean leader Kim Jong Il.

"He loves you and wants to save you and all of North Korea today," reads the letter, a copy of which was posted on a South Korean Web site last week. "Please open your borders so that we may bring food, provisions, medicine, necessities, and assistance to those who are struggling to survive. Please close down all concentration camps and release all political prisoners today, and allow care teams to enter to minister healing to those who have been tortured and traumatized."

Park's parents told CNN affiliate KFMB that their son was willing to risk his life to deliver that message.

"He said, 'I'm not afraid to die as long as the whole world, every nation, pays attention to the North Korea situation,' " said his father, Pyong Park.

Monday, the U.S. State Department said it was concerned by reports that Park had gone into North Korea but could not confirm them.

"We don't have any independent confirmation about either the report that he crossed over or his whereabouts," State Department spokesman Ian Kelly said. Washington and Pyongyang have no diplomatic relations, but Kelly said the Swedish Embassy -- which looks after U.S. interests in North Korea -- has offered to try to find out more.

North Korean authorities take a dim view of people who enter its territory without authorization.

Two American journalists who were arrested along the North Korean-Chinese border in March faced a 12-year sentence at hard labor, but were released after a meeting between Kim and former U.S. President Bill Clinton in Pyongyang.

Guy's kinda like Mishka.

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

HisMajestyBOB

They'll probably send him back without a visit from Clinton. The guy sounds too crazy even for Kim Jong Il.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Josquius

The news said he was a human rights person. This is....well lets say I have less sympathy. Just a nutter.
██████
██████
██████

Martinus

Caliga

Quote from: Razgovory on December 29, 2009, 02:01:22 AM
The state-run Korea Central News Agency said the man was taken into custody after entering North Korea from China on December 24 and was "now under investigation by a relevant organ."
Sorry, Clinton's not interested.  :(
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Slargos

Quote from: Martinus on December 29, 2009, 07:43:32 AM
Christians.  :lol:

Say what you will, jackass, but this guy is risking his life to help people.

What do you believe in that you're willing to risk your life for?

Caliga

Slargos

Quote from: Caliga on December 29, 2009, 08:03:36 AM
Quote from: Slargos on December 29, 2009, 08:00:08 AM
this guy is risking his life to help people.
:lol:

He believes that's what he's doing.

It doesn't matter if it's true or not.

Of course, I don't expect you to be able to comprehend such an idea.  :)

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Slargos

Caliga

Quote from: Razgovory on December 29, 2009, 08:15:15 AM
So do the muslims.  Who cares?
That's exactly the point I was going to make.  The 9/11 guys really believed they were helping things, too.  OMG HEROZ

CountDeMoney

I really wish those people wouldn't do this sort of thing.

All missionarys should be required to watch Rambo.  That'll put some starch in their socks.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Caliga on December 29, 2009, 08:28:17 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 29, 2009, 08:15:15 AM
So do the muslims.  Who cares?
That's exactly the point I was going to make.  The 9/11 guys really believed they were helping things, too.  OMG HEROZ
Spreading the word about love and forgiveness equals mass murder now? If the 19 hijackers had simply spread the word about Allah and opened a charity then it would be similar.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 29, 2009, 08:37:47 AM
Spreading the word about love and forgiveness equals mass murder now? If the 19 hijackers had simply spread the word about Allah and opened a charity then it would be similar.
I shouldn't have used that analogy as I should have known people would think I was trying to approximate the two events, which I'm not.

My point is that just because someone thinks they are doing good does not mean that they are doing good.  I think this is something society widely agrees with me on, or else we would be freeing and praising people who murder abortion doctors in the name of Jeebus, rather then sending them to prison for life.

Part of my reaction here is that I take a dim view of most missionary activity, especially when they try to mask their intentions by pretending they want to help people.  Missionaries are salesmen for Jesus, Inc.  :)