Obama gives Queen Elizabeth II an Ipod with his speeches

Started by Weatherman, April 01, 2009, 08:12:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

Quote from: Weatherman on April 01, 2009, 08:12:42 PM
QuotePresident and First Lady Obama gave Her Royal Highness Queen Elizabeth II a video iPod with inscription, songs uploaded and accessories, plus a rare musical songbook signed by Richard Rodgers.

Uploaded onto the iPod:

* Photos from the Queen's 2007 White House State Visit
    * Photos from the Queen's 2007 Jamestown, Va., Visit
    * Photos from the Queen's 2007 Richmond, Va., Visit
    * Video from the Queen's 1957 Jamestown Visit
    * Video from the Queen's 2007 Jamestown Visit
    * Video from the Queen's 2007 Richmond Visit
    * Photos from President Obama's Inauguration
    * Audio of then-state senator Obama's speech at the 2004 Democratic National Convention, and
    * Audio of President Obama 2009 Inauguration Address

Britain's Press Association reports that the Royal couple gave the Obamas "a silver-framed, signed photograph of themselves."

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2009/04/what-does-one-g.html

:bowler:

She should give it to Philip; I'm sure he'd enjoy it.   :bowler:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Quote from: Valmy on April 01, 2009, 11:08:20 PM

Oh please she gave him an autographed photo of herself.

Appalling   :mad:

Who died and made her queen?   :mad:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

MadImmortalMan

The region 1 cockup was pretty stupid, but I just can't see myself in Obama's position having any clue what kind of gift to give on a state visit. I'd probably do something really moronic like giving Angela Merkel Goring's Field Marshal baton from the Infantry Museum at Ft. Benning.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Martinus

Quote from: Savonarola on April 02, 2009, 12:54:38 AM
Quote from: Valmy on April 01, 2009, 11:08:20 PM

Oh please she gave him an autographed photo of herself.

Appalling   :mad:

Who died and made her queen?   :mad:
Some guy named George or Ed. Can't say for sure.

Magnus

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 02, 2009, 01:09:57 AM
The region 1 cockup was pretty stupid, but I just can't see myself in Obama's position having any clue what kind of gift to give on a state visit. I'd probably do something really moronic like giving Angela Merkel Goring's Field Marshal baton from the Infantry Museum at Ft. Benning.
It's easy you just give some random victorian crap, a table, chair, or dinning set, that you know noone in thier right mind would ever use, but is rather hard to get a hold of. Extra points if it somehow relates to the country you are giving it to.
Not something one can buy a a local store.

garbon

Just when I think I couldn't be any more embarrassed by my black president. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Kleves

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Sheilbh

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 02, 2009, 01:09:57 AM
Well surely there's an entire deparment in the State Department that deals with protocol and this sort of thing.
Let's bomb Russia!

Richard Hakluyt

The Queen gets given all sorts of amazing rubbish, which can be very entertaining in it's eclectic entirety.

Saw a good TV prog a few years back about it. Presented by Charles IIRC. All the gifts are carefully stored and catalogued, so that they can be retrieved or mentioned if it will help oil the diplomatic wheels.

DGuller

Next time Obama meets with Brown, he can give him an American DVD player.  Then the time after that, he can give him a power adapter.

Magnus

Quote from: DGuller on April 02, 2009, 02:55:11 AM
Next time Obama meets with Brown, he can give him an American DVD player.  Then the time after that, he can give him a power adapter.
See Obama is planning ahead, he's a thinker.

Warspite

Quote from: DGuller on April 02, 2009, 02:55:11 AM

He'll need a voltage adapter too, so there's a fourth gift set up. Genius.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Delirium

What's the difference between a power adapter and a voltage adapter?
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

Savonarola

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 02, 2009, 02:43:25 AM
Well surely there's an entire deparment in the State Department that deals with protocol and this sort of thing.

Yes, it's not like Barack went to the DVD store and picked out those DVDs.  He had Hillary do it.

Savonarola

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 02, 2009, 02:48:38 AM
The Queen gets given all sorts of amazing rubbish, which can be very entertaining in it's eclectic entirety.

Saw a good TV prog a few years back about it. Presented by Charles IIRC. All the gifts are carefully stored and catalogued, so that they can be retrieved or mentioned if it will help oil the diplomatic wheels.

The US President does as well.  I saw some of the state gifts Gerald Ford received while in ofice at the Gerald Ford Library.  Among other things he had a Declaration of Independence written in macaroni.