News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

So I'm thinking of getting into painting minis

Started by Razgovory, December 18, 2009, 12:57:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I need a hobby, and I've always wanted to paint miniatures.  I think it would be good to keep my mind occupied and keep me quit.  Any idea where I could start?  Like paints and stuff?  Not sure what models I want.  I was thinking of some of these http://www.copplestonecastings.co.uk/range.php?range=BOB
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

katmai

Quote from: Razgovory on December 18, 2009, 12:57:31 PM
I need a hobby, and I've always wanted to paint miniatures.  I think it would be good to keep my mind occupied and keep me quit.  Any idea where I could start?  Like paints and stuff?  Not sure what models I want.  I was thinking of some of these http://www.copplestonecastings.co.uk/range.php?range=BOB

Grumbler is the man to talk about minis, though jacob has been doing or was doing a lot of research into different versions recently.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Tamas

At one time I also wanted to start painting minis, but then I realized the last thing I need is yet another highly antisocial hobby.

The Brain

Quote from: katmai on December 18, 2009, 01:02:38 PM

Grumbler is the man to talk about minis, though jacob has been doing or was doing a lot of research into different versions recently.

:rolleyes:

Raz, I have some experience as well. Unlike the Alaskan goldfish some posters may remember my painting hundreds of minis and posting pics on Languish. I use mostly Games Workshop paints which may not be the absolute best but they are OK I think. I have looked at that mini range you linked before and it seems to be pretty cool.

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

You know you want to.

When going historical I'd go with 1/32 first. Painting a hundred 1/72 Napoleonic British Line Infantry can be, uhm, tiresome, especially when you pay attention to buttons, linings, straps ....
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Iormlund

Are those Undead yours Brain? They look great, except ... they are way too clean.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Jacob

Copplestone makes nice minis.  Since you're going for Back of Beyond type minis, I recommend you check out the forum at http://www.lead-adventure.de/ - a friendly bunch with a pretty strong Back of Beyond section.

As for paints Games Workshop is fine.  I have some Vallejo paints as well that are fine and I'm sure other manufacturers are decent.  As for technique, you can check out the forum above, they might give you some pointer, or browse the Games Workshop site - they have a bunch of painting tutorials there as well.  Lead Adventure also has a "how to" section in the workbench forum.

Have fun :)

Ape

Not sure what models I want. 

May I sugest http://www.flamesofwar.com/ ? Awesome WW2 15mm models.

If you are interested I can borrow my parents digital camera over the crhistmas-new year holiday and take a few pics of my German Grossdeutschland Panzergrenadier company :thumbsup:

grumbler

I think The Braim is the one that you should be talking to, Raz.  I do Napoleonic, and that is not where you want to start unless you are part of a gaming group.  Something like the Back of Beyond range, or Space 1889 (which RAFM is bringing back) might be great for just the few figures you are likely to want to start with.

I'd start with water-based enamel paints, and then move over (as possible - can't do this with metallic colors) to craft acrylics.  The latter need a lot of practice to use, though, so don't start with them or you will quit in disgust.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Slargos

I am wavering between feeling respect and horror at the thought of you guys actually sitting down to pain an entire army of little tin men.

Jacob

Quote from: grumbler on December 18, 2009, 08:36:29 PMI'd start with water-based enamel paints, and then move over (as possible - can't do this with metallic colors) to craft acrylics.  The latter need a lot of practice to use, though, so don't start with them or you will quit in disgust.

Water based enamels?  What are their advantage compared to craft acrylics?  And by craft acrylics do you mean the "standard" miniature acrylics available from Games Workshop, Vallejo, Foundry, Reaper and so on?

PRC

If you don't want to build an army and get into that whole aspect of it but just want to paint don't go for the miniatures at all but go straight to the statuette style figures.

Razgovory

I chose the copplestone because the minis are a decent size (20mm), varied, attractive, and in small sets.  Also alot of the subjects are cool.  I may never end up using them but if I do it'll likely be for RPGs rather then wargames.

Thanks for the good advice here.  A quite constructive hobby might do me some good.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son