News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Has the Great Recession helped your Gaming group?

Started by Martim Silva, December 14, 2009, 06:02:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martim Silva

When I was in my 20's, I used to have lots of people to play board- and computer games with.

But with the passing of the decades, we went their own ways, getting families, kids, careers, companies...

Meeting for games became rare, and of course longer gaming sessions were out of the question.

But since last year, however, with the Great Recession, many of my buddies lost their jobs [more accurately, their banks/companies went under] and divorces naturally ensued, while others saw their business activity take a nosedive, which in turn gave them more free time...

In a nutshell, when by 2007 we could rarely meet more than 4 people about twice a year, now I can get 8-12 people every 15 days. And most can stay up until 7 AM.

Our purchases of boardgames skyrocketed, and now we have plenty of people to play them! (Even considering a game of Extended Advanced Civilization).

In a nutshell, good days for (board)gaming are here again! It feels like I'm 20 years younger.

Has the Great Recession helped to reform your old gaming group?

Josephus

I miss having a group of people to play board games with. That said, I'm not sure I'd want to lose my job to do so, either.  ;)
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Larch

We're playing way more often nowadays, I don't know if from some reborn willingness and spirit, or because it's cheaper to stay at home playing games we already bought in the last few years rather than going out and shelling big bucks for some restaurant dinners, drinks and taxis.  ;)

DisturbedPervert

There's gonna be some great gaming opportunities when we're all living in tent cities

Jaron

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on December 15, 2009, 08:28:45 AM
There's gonna be some great gaming opportunities when we're all living in tent cities

Aka...

OBAMAVILLE?

ChangeTown

Hope City
Winner of THE grumbler point.

The Brain

None of my gaming buddies have lost their jobs, and the Nuclear Renaissance gives me more work than I can eat.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

BuddhaRhubarb

Yeah it's really Back, Gaming...that is, I've really gotten back into Pen & paper the last few years. More and More D&D all over the place. I hear about all sorts of games going on, also.
:p