News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

So... someone confesses murder to you

Started by Martinus, December 12, 2009, 05:55:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

A guy you do not know very well confesses to you that he murdered someone 30 years ago. He says he feels sorry about it and needed to get it off his chest. Do you...

... pat him on a shoulder and buy him another drink. Then go on Languish to retell this sad, sad story.
28 (57.1%)
... report him to the police.
16 (32.7%)
... lure him away, then exsanguinate him, cut his body into portable pieces that you later dump into the bay inside black plastic bags.
5 (10.2%)

Total Members Voted: 47

The Brain

Quote from: Caliga on December 15, 2009, 10:23:32 AM
:huh: Really?

So if I go into a police station and say "I killed John Doe" despite there being no evidence I did so or that John Doe even exists, I can go to jail?

Maybe BB is talking about the WW2 example where presumably there is a named missing sailor on a named ship and probably a date.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Strix

Quote from: Caliga on December 15, 2009, 08:02:48 AM
I wouldn't go to the police, because

a) The only "proof" I would have is some old man's word, who may be suffering from Alzheimer's;

b) All the police could do is question the guy and get the same "proof", which isn't really proof.

Under normal circumstances you can't convict someone of a crime simply because they claim to have done something.... at least not in this country (and probably not Canada either).

I have the opposite view. The proof may exist but the police might be missing that last bit that links the murder to someone. By going to the police you may provide the identity of the murderer which allows the police to connect all the evidence and close the case.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Martinus

Indeed. It's not your position to assess if the evidence is sufficient etc. Of course, if the claim is outlandish and completely incredible, it's another thing but the "there's probably not enough evidence to convict the guy anyway" justification is bullshit.

The Brain

One would think that a gay man would be more wary of painting the world in strict black and white.

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Brain on December 15, 2009, 12:12:13 PM
One would think that a gay man would be more wary of painting the world in strict black and white.

Marti is a fat trucker sitting in Oregon who wishes he was gay.

edit: and wishes he went to law school.

The Brain

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 15, 2009, 12:17:14 PM
Quote from: The Brain on December 15, 2009, 12:12:13 PM
edit: and wishes he went to law school.

Don't we all.

Slargos

viper37

Quote from: Martinus on December 15, 2009, 12:10:00 PM
Indeed. It's not your position to assess if the evidence is sufficient etc. Of course, if the claim is outlandish and completely incredible, it's another thing but the "there's probably not enough evidence to convict the guy anyway" justification is bullshit.
But I think it is.  Otherwise, you could be the one accused of making a prank call to the police, or you could be sued by the person you reported for damaging his/her reputation.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Siege

Report him to the police.

Let the police find out wheather is true or not.

I have zero tolerance for criminals.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

viper37

Quote from: Siege on December 15, 2009, 01:24:02 PM

Ok.  So you meet a fellow Israeli like you, who served in the army and is now an American citizen and soldier.  He tells you that at some point, he shot Palestinians civilians in the head, after they were neutralized during the sweep of their house.

You report him?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

sbr

Caliga

What I think is BS is that people in this thread are saying that (relating back to the Malthus WWII example) in this situation they would actually go to the police and report the guy.  You might think, philosophically, that this is the right thing to do, but I don't believe for a second anyone would *actually* do this, aside from possibly someone like Beeb who is constantly in contact with the police in his town anyway so presumably is very familiar with them (same might go for Strix).
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Caliga on December 15, 2009, 01:35:46 PM
What I think is BS is that people in this thread are saying that (relating back to the Malthus WWII example) in this situation they would actually go to the police and report the guy.  You might think, philosophically, that this is the right thing to do, but I don't believe for a second anyone would *actually* do this, aside from possibly someone like Beeb who is constantly in contact with the police in his town anyway so presumably is very familiar with them (same might go for Strix).
Apparently not, since Malthus originally said that the dude liked to blab about it, and no one else turned him in.

So the question then becomes what parameters about the story need to change before people tip over to reporting him.  Time elapsed?  Sympathy for the vic (Marty's thesis)?  Risk of reoccurence?

Siege

Quote from: viper37 on December 15, 2009, 01:33:05 PM
Quote from: Siege on December 15, 2009, 01:24:02 PM

Ok.  So you meet a fellow Israeli like you, who served in the army and is now an American citizen and soldier.  He tells you that at some point, he shot Palestinians civilians in the head, after they were neutralized during the sweep of their house.

You report him?

We are talking about murder, as in murdering your fellow citizens, not about war or killing enemies.

Now, if in your example the guy had killed a fellow soldier, or a civilian back home, for whatever reason, I would personally drag his ass to the nearest MP station.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 15, 2009, 01:40:47 PM
Quote from: Caliga on December 15, 2009, 01:35:46 PM
Apparently not, since Malthus originally said that the dude liked to blab about it, and no one else turned him in.

So the question then becomes what parameters about the story need to change before people tip over to reporting him.  Time elapsed?  Sympathy for the vic (Marty's thesis)?  Risk of reoccurence?

Certainly those are all important, though Marty has his head firmly up his ass if he thinks I was sympathetic to the guy in question because he punched and then killed a gay guy.

Some other factors:

- How you are positioned relative to the guy (for example, I was a kid in grade 10 at the time and the guy was a respected prof - I dare anyone to say with a straight face that they would go to the cops on such flimsy grounds when they were high school kids);

- The circumstances of the crime (crimes during wartime tend to attract less concern: "I fragged a gung ho officer 40 years ago in WW2 who was going to get us all killed" as opposed to "I killed a girl and buried her body at the cottage 40 years ago").
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius