First submersible robot glider crosses the Atlantic.

Started by The Larch, December 10, 2009, 08:04:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: Caliga on December 10, 2009, 01:14:25 PM
:mad:

I still wonder why it gets called "The Garden State". When I went through it I could only see concrete.  :P

Caliga

Quote from: The Larch on December 10, 2009, 01:24:04 PM
I still wonder why it gets called "The Garden State". When I went through it I could only see concrete.  :P
My uncle lives there and he has a garden. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

frunk

Your uncle got to give the state its nickname?  Wow!

Caliga

Yep!  They're getting ready to change the nickname to "The Cradle Robber State" though.  Just FYI.  :)

Valmy

Quote from: The Larch on December 10, 2009, 01:24:04 PM

I believe it comes from a Benjamin Franklin quote about the colony and I believe it was meant in a derogative way.  It was something like 'New Jersey is like a garden where good food grows with its fence open at both ends, Pennsylvania gobbling the food at one end and New York on the other'.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

ulmont

Nah.  Western NJ is total farm country and beautiful.

Razgovory

Quote from: The Larch on December 10, 2009, 08:16:29 AM
Quote from: Caliga on December 10, 2009, 08:15:43 AM
Dude, I know... that's why I made the joke  :lol:

I have that movie on DVD.  That Spanish chick (Raquel Moreno?) is HOTT as all fuck.

Didn't remember that.  :blush: And it's Raquel MeroƱo.  ;)

Like the sheep?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Lettow77 on December 10, 2009, 11:42:42 AM
QuoteMayor Jesus Vasquez Almuina said the Scarlet Knight was as important to his town as the Pinta, and New Jersey was as important to Baiona as any part of the New World. "Baiona and New Jersey will be linked forever after this moment," the mayor said.

Poor Galicia; that's just terrible.
Lol. :D
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

Quote from: ulmont on December 10, 2009, 11:45:31 PM
Nah.  Western NJ is total farm country and beautiful.
:huh: Do you mean like northwest Jersey?  Western NJ is, like, Princeton and Trenton.  AFAIK northwest Jersey is mostly forested hills and ridges, but I've not spent much time there.

ulmont

Caliga

:huh: My experience with Flemington is that it's mostly antique stores and shit like that.  Maybe it's surrounded by farms... can't remember, though I would have thought trees rather than farms.  My mother used to go there all the time to spend my dad's money--I grew up like 20 minutes from there on the other side of the Delaware.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josquius

These firsts really do get more and more obscure by the year.
Whatever next, first blue painted rowing boat made in Bristol to cross the Atlantic?
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

ulmont

Quote from: Caliga on December 11, 2009, 08:19:48 AM
:huh: My experience with Flemington is that it's mostly antique stores and shit like that.  Maybe it's surrounded by farms... can't remember, though I would have thought trees rather than farms.  My mother used to go there all the time to spend my dad's money--I grew up like 20 minutes from there on the other side of the Delaware.

Mostly dairy and horse farms.

QuoteWhile Hunterdon County has lost some of its scenic vistas of rolling cornfields and dairy barns, agriculture is still alive and well. Hunterdon County continues to have the largest land area of farms in the New Jersey: 160,000 farmland assessed acres. The average farm size is 80 acres according to the 1997 Census of Agriculture. There is a trend towards high value crops and specialty crops and animals, such as vegetables, horticulture and organic foods and herbs. Horse farms continue to be popular, hence the market for the County's large hay production.
http://www.co.hunterdon.nj.us/cadb.htm