News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Wierd Real-Life Sightings

Started by Malthus, December 02, 2009, 11:54:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

I saw something yesterday that I found more than a trifle freaky.

I work in an office tower (First Canadian Place) right downtown in Toronto, at Bay & King. Here, all the towers are connected by an underground shopping-mall-walkway, which is always incredibly crowded during the work-day, with business types in suits.

Anyway, I was trudging to work from the subway, when I saw a business-suited fellow greet another old dude in a business suit in the most bizzare manner, hard to describe - he did a sort of dance, rearing his body up in the air and his head back and making cat-pawing motions with his hands, while bobbing his head up and down . The other guy reacted by doing the same dance in return, and then they walked off in opposite directions. Not a word said by either of them.

I was thinking "wtf?" but of course had no opportunity to find out.

The wierd thing is that, at lunch, I say *another* pair of suited types greeting each other in this manner - totally different guys.

Frat ritual? Secret society? Why two on the same day? Just inexplicable.

Any other examples of unexplained wierdness you've seen lately?

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Larch

It's obviously a masonic greeting.

It opens doors, I tell you!

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Malthus on December 02, 2009, 11:54:07 AM

Frat ritual? Secret society? Why two on the same day? Just inexplicable.

Furry convention

Grey Fox

Crazy city Toronto is.

I blame the Pakis.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josquius

Back in May I saw a storm trooper just casually walking down the street for no reason.
██████
██████
██████

Malthus

Quote from: The Larch on December 02, 2009, 12:02:11 PM
It's obviously a masonic greeting.

It opens doors, I tell you!

:lol:

I was thinking it was something of the sort, but what good is a "secret greeting" that has everyone in the vicinity staring at you (and thinking you are nuts)?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Bluebook

Street performers? Some new art performance? Commercial campaign?

Malthus

Quote from: Bluebook on December 02, 2009, 12:06:08 PM
Street performers? Some new art performance? Commercial campaign?

Could be. That sort of thing at least would make some sort of sense. 

Admiral Yi

Martinus

Sounds like an Improv Everywhere (IE) kind of thing.

http://improveverywhere.com/

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 02, 2009, 12:16:06 PM
Movie shoot?

Unlikely - middle of a crowded underground walkway at rush hour, no movie cameras.

maybe something like Candid Camera, but it simply wasn't prolonged enough for any amusing reactions from passers-by.

The Larch

Next time you witness it, you have the duty to ask them.

KRonn

Was it Obama, maybe visiting Toronto that day and mixing up Canadian and Native American greeting customs?    :unsure:

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!