And we're back!

Main Menu

The Prisoner (Remake)

Started by Malthus, November 16, 2009, 05:25:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Anyone catch this last night?

I saw it. I was not impressed.

I tried to give it a chance, I really did. But the show had little resembling a plot. Worse, the Number 6 was not an engaging character. The original kicked asses and took names; this one just seems to whine a lot.

In the original, the mystery was pretty clear: who are these people, and why do they want "information"? Why did Number 6 resign, and why is that important? How was the Prisioner going to escape?

In this thing, the mystery is trying to figure out, among all of the flashbacks and cut aways, what the hell is happening at any given moment. The problem is that without any engaging characters or coherent story, there is little reason to care.

Also missing is the awesome 60s era music and aesthetics, which added an extra element of interest and weirdness. Not that a remake should have 60s era aesthetics, but at least replace it with something. The opening sequence of the original is one of the best ever made: the new one has nothing to compare.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Viking

Pluses
- some references to the original big balloons, vacation village feel
- initially more logical what does he remember, is he being drugged? is he dreaming? is he in a coma (life on mars style)? is the village reality?

Minuses
- who/why care(s)?
- desert not as fun as holiday village on the channel

Not quite raping my childhood, but I will have to give them a chance first. S&M Jesus isn't quite the Nr. 6 I was hoping for.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Josephus

I'm gonna wait till the whole thing airs, and then, hopefully, I can get it OnDemand. I loved the original, though, so this is really gonna have to impress.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

CountDeMoney

Re: the original--

Who did you think was keeping him prisoner?

My parents, who were avid fans of the show, used to think it was the enemy;  watching it in syndication (late night PBS), I always assumed he was held prisoner by his own side.  A generational interpretation gap?

Of course, the whole premise of the show was that it could've been either side, or neither;  that was the cool aspect of it.  But, if you had to choose, what were your theories on the show?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Malthus on November 16, 2009, 05:25:14 PM
The original kicked asses and took names

Well sure he conquered Wales.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

stjaba

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 16, 2009, 06:26:20 PM

I interrupt this thread for a special message.

Minsky, please read your personal messages.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled thread.

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 16, 2009, 06:26:10 PM
Of course, the whole premise of the show was that it could've been either side, or neither;  that was the cool aspect of it.  But, if you had to choose, what were your theories on the show?

I tended to think it was his own side as well.  But of course that was never made clear, in particular in the confusing mess of a final episode.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

I didn't like Withnail and I, I didn't like Ran, and I didn't like the few episodes* of The Prisoner I saw.  So there.

I think Armed Forces Television in Korea had managed to get their hands on two, which they showed over and over every year or so.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 16, 2009, 07:33:07 PM
I didn't like Withnail and I, I didn't like Ran, and I didn't like the few episodes* of The Prisoner I saw.  So there.

You sir are worse than Hitler.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Queequeg

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 16, 2009, 06:26:20 PM

Kind of glad that Ian McKellen didn't play #2 in that one, as #6 might have defenestrated him.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Ed Anger

I tried watching the remake. Found it bland.

Then again, I have a man crush on patrick mcgoohan.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 16, 2009, 06:26:10 PM
Re: the original--

Who did you think was keeping him prisoner?
Watch the final episode.  It was aliens holding him.  They were trying to figure out what motivated humans to do things, and he was a cipher to them - didn't fit into any of their categories.  Then they realized that some people are just not categorize-able, and left.

Think about it for a second.  How could Rover possibly fit in any other way?  Neither their side nor our side had anything like Rover, or would for hundreds of years or more.  Ditto revitlizing the dead, and a number of other "miracles."

How does The Village end?  Evacuation orders, everybody leaves and then a rocket ship takes off.  That was the aliens, going back to wherever.  Roll credits.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 16, 2009, 07:39:45 PM
I tried watching the remake. Found it bland.

Then again, I have a man crush on patrick mcgoohan.

Who doesn't?  He was the greatest King of England ever.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Richard Hakluyt

I always assumed it was his own side, with an alternative hypothesis that he was actually going more and more insane whilst strapped to a bed in a psychiatric hospital in Guildford.........with none of the events, bar the resignation, actually happening.

I didn't know there was a remake. My skills at avoiding modern crud are increasing  :cool:

Duque de Bragança

I will get the original on blu-ray before even considering watching the remake...