Yo parents: how to mess up your kids with "good parenting"

Started by Syt, November 14, 2009, 01:24:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

What is so odd about that statement? Was she referring to real foraging and not raiding the pantry?  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 17, 2009, 09:55:55 PM
What is so odd about that statement? Was she referring to real foraging and not raiding the pantry?  :P
Well, I think her intent was for us to raid the pantry, but since my parents chain-smoke, they have no appetite and thus there was never much in there.  That's how I learned to cook good meals, since not only did I have to make shit but I had to go buy it as well.  I quickly got bored with hot dogs and started going through her cookbooks.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Faeelin

One of the things I am most thankful to my Father for was raising me to be an incredible cynic and free thinker.

Case in point, when eight years old.

"Dad, what happens when you die?"

"Worms eat your corpse and your children don't talk for eight years because they're fighting over whether or not to put flowers on your grave."

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 16, 2009, 05:22:02 PM
I have never met a homeschooled person who was a drama queen attention whore.  But then again none of them grew up in Poland so I suppose it is possible that country has different home schooling outcomes.

I have five of them(homeschooled drama queens) living next door to me. 1st generation Mexi-Canadians Each one screams louder than the next when shit doesn't go their way. All homeschooled, all day (though I don't know what class setting off fireworks and torturing the dog are, maybe that's recess. I have 3 cousins who are home schooled, their social skils are Gollum like. The most of the rest of my family (including these kids parents) are very much like me, gregarious, outgoing.

so some definite variation going on in the homeschooling culture.
:p

merithyn

Quote from: Caliga on November 17, 2009, 09:49:26 PM
Nice, CC.  I learned to cook for me and my brother because my dad travelled all the time and my mom was either in night school, or couldn't be bothered to make us dinner and so told us to "forage" (seriously).

We have "Catch as catch can" meals probably once a week. In other words, find something you want because we're too fucking tired to make a meal tonight. I see nothing wrong with it. Leftovers, cold meat sandwiches, pot pies... pick what you want and get on with it.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Caliga

Quote from: merithyn on November 18, 2009, 07:39:24 AM
We have "Catch as catch can" meals probably once a week. In other words, find something you want because we're too fucking tired to make a meal tonight. I see nothing wrong with it. Leftovers, cold meat sandwiches, pot pies... pick what you want and get on with it.
I wouldn't necessarily have seen much wrong with it *if* the pantries actually had shit other than cartons of Lark and Merit Ultra Lights in them. ;)

merithyn

With some fava beans and a nice Chianti, a good Lark may not be so bad. :)
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Malthus

Quote from: Faeelin on November 17, 2009, 10:04:57 PM
One of the things I am most thankful to my Father for was raising me to be an incredible cynic and free thinker.

"Worms eat your corpse and your children don't talk for eight years because they're fighting over whether or not to put flowers on your grave."

Actually, the fight will be about divvying up your posessions ...  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 18, 2009, 09:56:01 AM
Presuming there are possessions to divvy.

There's always something, even if only of sentemental value, to fight over.

Where there's a Will, there's a way!  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grey Fox

I like to cook too. I think it's because my mom sucked at it.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Drakken

Quote from: Faeelin on November 17, 2009, 10:04:57 PM

Lucky you. My girlfriend doesn't even want me to educate my future children about why Santa Claus doesn't exist, as soon as at toddler age.  <_<

Caliga

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 18, 2009, 10:07:45 AM
I like to cook too. I think it's because my mom sucked at it.
Yeah, same here.  My mom is a great dessert maker, but everything else sucks.  To this day I rarely eat steak or pork chops because she always managed to either burn them or make them so dry it was like eating leather.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Monoriu

I once asked my dad about fish. 

"Dad, if everybody tries to get as much fish as possible for himself, will the fish run out one day?"

"Nah.  The population of fish is so great, that we'll never run out of any kind of fish.  They're as numerous as...atoms, sand, and stars."

"What about trees?"

"Same."