And we're back!

Main Menu

Lady Thatcher is dead

Started by Josquius, November 13, 2009, 07:36:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

:w00t: :cheers:

http://www.cbc.ca/cp/Oddities/091111/K11119AU.html

QuoteOTTAWA - A brief message about a felled feline really caused the fur to fly this week, prompting erroneous rumours about the demise of no less than Margaret Thatcher.

The brouhaha at a gala Toronto tribute to Canada's military is a cautionary tale about how modern instant messaging and good old-fashioned gossip can combine to shake things up at even the highest levels.

Some 1,700 luminaries, including Prime Minister Stephen Harper, were in the middle of dinner Tuesday night when smart phones throughout the room began to buzz with the news: "Lady Thatcher has passed away."

Dinner chatter abruptly veered to expressions of shock and reminiscences of Margaret Thatcher, the 84-year-old former British prime minister, as news of her apparent passing spread like wildfire.

It eventually reached the ears of Harper, or someone close to him. Harper aide Dimitri Soudas, back in Ottawa, was dispatched to confirm the news and start preparing an official statement mourning the death of the Iron Lady, an icon to many in Harper's Conservative party.

Soudas immediately emailed his contacts at Buckingham Palace and in British Prime Minister Gordon Brown's office.

They had no idea what he was talking about. Lady Thatcher, they informed an embarrassed Soudas, was still very much alive.

About 20 minutes after the rumour mill started churning, a corrective email message began to circulate among the diners at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre.

Turns out it was Transport Minister John Baird's beloved 16-year-old cat - whom he'd named Thatcher out of admiration for one of his political heroes - who had ceased to be.

Soudas is said to have quipped since: "If the cat wasn't dead, I'd have killed it by now."

:face:
:lmfao:
██████
██████
██████

Neil

You know, when the real Thatcher dies, she's going to be remembered as the greatest Briton since Churchill.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Quote from: Neil on November 13, 2009, 07:39:21 PM
You know, when the real Thatcher dies, she's going to be remembered as the greatest Briton since Churchill.

:yes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Kinda strange to think about it after so many years, but you are probably correct.

The same fate awaits Tony Blair, unless he blots his escutcheon somehow in the future.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

I thought that was Attlee.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

Quote from: Razgovory on November 13, 2009, 08:37:31 PM

You thought wrong.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

grumbler

Who named their cat "Attlee?" :unsure:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: grumbler on November 13, 2009, 10:25:26 PM

Who named their cat "Attlee?" :unsure:

Yeah, he strikes me as more of a dog-type.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

CountDeMoney

Yup.
For a brief, shining moment, she made Britain relevant again.  If only for a while.

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 13, 2009, 10:38:37 PM

Yup.
For a brief, shining moment, she made Britain relevant again.  If only for a while.
She made Britain appear relevant. Her role in breaking Old Labor and forcing the creation of New Labor should not be underestimated.  Britain is politically a far, far different place than it was when I lived there, thanks to her and most especially to the reaction to her.

"Catalyst" is a word too often used for politicians, but it applies to her.

Ronald Reagon was a non-entity compared to her.

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on November 13, 2009, 10:43:49 PMShe made Britain appear relevant. Her role in breaking Old Labor and forcing the creation of New Labor should not be underestimated.  Britain is politically a far, far different place than it was when I lived there, thanks to her and most especially to the reaction to her.

"Catalyst" is a word too often used for politicians, but it applies to her.

Ronald Reagon was a non-entity compared to her.

I would agree.  She was the first of the wave of modern western conservatism.
And she fought the last colonial war.  So hawt.

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 13, 2009, 11:04:50 PM
I would agree.  She was the first of the wave of modern western conservatism.
And she fought the last colonial war.  So hawt.
I think her role in defending British sovereignty, like GWB's in defending US sovereignty, will be a mere footnote. Her impact on history will be seen as what she did to Britain, not what she did to the junta in Argentina.

Bayraktar!

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Alexandru H.

Along Jeanne d'Arc, my favourite woman of history.  :bowler: